Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flocking ?

first hope this post is in the right place to ask questions if not mods please move it to where it should be i'm not sure where it should be posted sorry :)

can somebody please tell me what Flocking is i have read about it it in several posts here now but i have no idea what it is so can somebody please explain what and why it is done and how to do it and is it done to all telescopes or only certain types? sorry for the stupid question :D

thanks in advance..

regards.Rob

can somebody please tell me what Flocking is

Flocking is covering the surfaces that you still see from the focuser opening and that are possibly lit by something (either directly or indirectly) with something that is non-reflective even at a shallow angle. Usually, it's black velvet with adhesive backing.

The reason you flock parts of a scope is to avoid stray light hitting the eyepiece and being converted into veiling glare that reduces contrast.

But flocking is only useful if the telescope also doesn't let stray light reach the eyepiece directly or via the mirrors. Many scopes have a focuser that is too close to the top of the scope, which can allow stray light into the focuser from the front opposite the focuser.

The act of making sure that all paths for stray light are blocked is "baffling", and flocking is complementary (i.e. you then flock the baffles that may be see from their lit side). The tube itself is the most important baffle, but there can be others.

Flocking is not that popular on refractors if they are well baffled because then the tube wall is either in the shadow of the baffles or obscured by a baffle seen from its dark side. In other words, if you have to flock a refractor, chances are the baffling is not designed very well.

Flocking is a lot more popular on a Newtonian, because the baffles (tube section behind the secondary, possibly light/dew shield to extend the tube, tube section close to the primary etc.) are seen from their lit side. It is not necessary to fully baffle or flock the tube, as a large section is never seen from the focuser.

Maks and SCTs are usually well baffled but the baffles themselves are a bit prone to reflecting light from stray sources, so the inside of these is possibly flocked.

An extra advantage of flocking is that it insulates the tube wall from the air in the tube somewhat, so it can also help reduce tube currents.

thanks sixela that's a very informative and easy to understand answer thanks so much it's very much appreciated.

i have to wonder why makers of telescopes dont flock them when building them really, hmm.

callisto thanks that's an excellent link it does'nt look too difficult tho i dont think i would attempt it without somebody holding my hand.so to speak..

thank you both guy's muchly appreciated.

regards.Rob

Archived