NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good link for dob bearings.

I had planned to replace the skywatcher screws with some that had a countersunk head but after going round B&Q, Focus and a couple of local hardware shops this morning and not finding any, quite a few had the right size but they had different threads, I decided to buy a flat top drill bit and countersink them that way.

There not bolts into steel inserts like the handle are they?? :D

I would have bought a length of dowel the right diameter cut to size and hammer in to the holes, re-drilled and put the same size but counter sunk screws in. This way you could keep the thickness in the board.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally use a two part epoxy adhesive, there's lots of options. got some from the pound shop recently (don't ask the price :D) and although it stank to high hell when curing it stuck really well.

I have always used a UHU one in the past - very good indeed. has two 'syringes' to make you feel all sciency when using it.

yep, this is exactly the one I use - it's excellent.

I think one might do it at a push but personally, I'd order two as you may get a discount on postage and also you might just run out - it's useful for lots of things and as far as I know lasts forever.

Make sure you upload some pics so we can see how you get on. There are plenty of lazy Susan threads about, but I don't think I've ever seen a picture by picture ebony star upgrade .

Will do but don't expect a first class finish, the cut outs for the screws are rough to say the least :D

Masking tape and a sharp wood drill bit :D You could get a large drill to tidy up any rough edges but it might be little difficult now you have cut the hole. Either way you would have to be careful as laminate has a tendency to shatter.

Sorry to put a downer on it but I'm really glad I didn't have the money to buy ebony star now. I had the LSB on the base, back together and set up just the way I wanted with in 10 minutes. I've already got used to living with the 8mm gap between the base boards.

I'm sure you will be happy with the end result either way. BUT!!!! I can guarantee you the moment you have finished you will find that screw :D

SPACEBOY

I found that site a few months ago and considered making the mod to the az bearing, I already have the required aluminium block. I haven't got round to doing it though as I haven't the tools for drilling and tapping the necessary holes, really skint ATM so I can't even get hold of a drill.

It seems like it'll be worthwhile when it's done as I apparently reduces stiction in the az movement which can only be a plus.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/114825-any-recommendations-dobson-setting-circles.html I'd done it back in October and it made noticeable improvement straight away. Although if sat for too long it will stick slightly but I was told this was due to static friction and is unavoidable. Either way, for what it cost to do it's well worth doing and if I hadn't I don't think the Lazy Susan bearing would have been such a success.

Still no sign of the glue from eBay, the postal service has been dire round here as of late. I have had the Ebony Star in place but without adhesive and does seem to have made a huge improvement in the movement of the AZ axis, there is very little stiction and the movement is less jerky.

I will post an update when the glue arrives and I have fixed the laminate to the base.

It is definitely the post service that is the cause of the problems around my end, ever since the large sorting office closed and all the staff were moved to Warrington it has just gone downhill. The rounds of the posties have been changed to make them more "efficient" and they've taken away their bike and have to push those trollies about now. All this means that the post has been coming at stupid o'clock in the afternoon or not at all, yesterday we ave two separate deliveries of post 3 hours apart in the afternoon!!!

Archived