NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CPC800 and Imaging with DSLR & Webcam

Kerrp30

Hi everyone, I want to confirm the following with guys who have done all of this before.

1. I have managed to image the Planets/Moon with a DSLR connected to the scope via a T adaptor and T to 1.25" adaptor straight onto the scope, managed to get focus etc with no issues.

2. Tried with a webcam but with no T adaptor and T to 1.25" could not focus. Do I need something else in the path to achieve focus?

Also can you get good results attaching these cameras to the back end of a Hyperion Zoom?

Anyone got any pictures of there webcam setup?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

Here's our first attempt on Jupiter attaching a 1000D to Hyperion Zoom. It's not processed at all but looks promising:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/117175-jupiter-first-attempt.html

There's also a bit of software that enables you to record the dslr live view as if it were a webcam output. You might find it interesting so I'll find the thread for you. :)

Edit - here it is: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/120357-canon-eos-1000d-webcam.html

Hi,

You don't say what your web cam is or whether it has been modded for astro imaging. At the very least you will a nose piece adapter (the Pillips SPC 900 is popular). I use a Celestron Neximage with mixed results (sometimes good, often poor, but I think that's due to my poor light polluted skies) and it already includes a 1 1/4" eyepiece adaptor built-in. You simply place it the telescope draw tube in place of an eyepiece. The T-adaptor is only for your DSLR.

I also use Sony chipped security cam with a C/CS mount nosepiece adapter which works well on the moon and occasionally the planets.

I'm glad you are pleased with your planetary images from your DSLR. I have tried my Pentax K20D with a barlow on Jupiter out of interest and found the image scale way too small. I also had a go at imaging the moon afocal with the DLSR attached to my Hyperion 8mm using the T adapter and Baader's specific ring that screws onto the eyepiece and the T adapter, but found that while it was okay for the moon in that the image scale was acceptable, chromatic aberration was awful. I've got better results using my ED barlow with the camera attached to that.

Brinders

The webcam is a phillips 880 flashed to a 900 with an adaptor that screws onto the webcam to a 1.25" adaptor which I placed directly onto the rear of the scope. I could not achieve focus.

When I use my DSLR I can get focus no problem but the CCD is further back due to the adaptor and T piece. I was wondering if the CCD on the webcam needs to be further back.

Maybe I should try this out on the moon first rather than the planets.

As for the live view application maybe it would be a good choice, but would like to get the webcam stuff going.

I suppose the image scale just needs a barlow in but it always seems to shift the image and defo dulls the seeing.

Paul

I have just stumbled across the canon live view movie record. Can't wait to try it out! The problem I've been having with webcams is finding the target! With my 100D I've done Jupiter (to my satisfaction... ) but even with mirror lock the shutter causes vibration and exposures are a little too long. With this i can still focus at 10x, then run inside, click record and guide from the camera (manual mount I'm affraid!). Might try tonight if clear. Did anyone see Venus this morning, wonderfully bright and just the cresent I think!

Hi everyone, I want to confirm the following with guys who have done all of this before.

1. I have managed to image the Planets/Moon with a DSLR connected to the scope via a T adaptor and T to 1.25" adaptor straight onto the scope, managed to get focus etc with no issues.

2. Tried with a webcam but with no T adaptor and T to 1.25" could not focus. Do I need something else in the path to achieve focus?

Also can you get good results attaching these cameras to the back end of a Hyperion Zoom?

Anyone got any pictures of there webcam setup?

Regards

Paul

I dont know about dslr ,but my cpc webcam set up is: Williams diagonal /ultima barlow/webcam. The web cam in essence just replaces the eyepiece, the rest of the viewing train remains unchanged. There is a marked difference in focal points though, a sharp visual image is replaced frequently by an almost invisible image on the pc. I've been caught out a few times thinking that I'd moved the image off chip only later to realise that the image was there but highly diffused because the focus was so different.

Archived