Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 26-11-2010

chrisrnuttall

Here is Jupiter from last night.

I have attached my field sketch too, just for fun.

I set up my kit at half nine, and realised the snow clouds were coming so i started observing straight away- before the scope had time to cool, i got 15 minutes in and then the clouds spoiled it so I packed up. An hour later it was snowing heavily.

Despite all this i did manage to catch a descent amount of the larger features.

The SEB outbreak is shown as a diagonal line on the RHS of the disc, no detail could be seen because of the poor conditions.

The NEB is still active as ever.

post-17454-133877505676_thumb.jpg

post-17454-133877505682_thumb.jpg

Wow, you got quite a bit down in 15 minutes! :)

Thanks for including the field sketch, too... TBH, i prefer it over the re-do. Original eyepiece sketches make me feel like the other person is allowing me to share the moment with them, and i really like that special feeling... it's something i just don't get with re-done sketches. :D

carol

I know what you mean, I like that too.

I am trying to improve my rendering technique with the pastels, so then hopefully the final piece will be nicer than the field sketch.

I have ordered some different paper which i am hoping will improve my ability to blend and layer the colours.

I am aware that they often look a bit too Amber on screen, but if anyone has any constructive criticism or tips I would love to read them.

thanks

Nice one Chris. I was out a couple of hours earlier than you to get the GRS. This expanding SEB revival feature is truly fascinating. Really good to see it changing in your sketches. Brilliant observation given you only had 15 mins with an uncooled scope! :)

thanks

I could see the clouds coming in so i knew i had to hurry, and since i had observed this face of jupiter a bit recently i was able to store it all in my mind's eye and get 80% of it onto the paper in one go, then quickly touch it up a little before it was time to get in before the snow started!

Archived