Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cannon 300d

Martin Whitaker

Hi , I have bought a Cannon 300d camera today with the intention of having a go at some astro photos, spent enough on gear this year so did not wont to purchase a more expensive one.

Has anyone else got one and if so are there any pointers you could give me to using it.

Where did you buy the scope adapter, the settings to use and how to use the bulb setting.

Do I use registax or any other programe that you could reccomend.

I do understand Astronomiser will mod the camera but will I manage with it as it is untill I get used to it / afford it.

Cheers

Martin.

Hi Martin,

I too have a 300D which has had the ir filter removed. If its just for astro use you can follow some guides for removing the filter yourself which will then make it a free mod. Google "Gary Honis 300D" and you should find the guide for it.

You will need an EOS T ring and 2" t adapter if you focuser can take 2" EP's. Available from nearly all astro equipment stockists. That will allow you to connect it to the scope for prime focus photography.

With regards to settings I generally use mine on ISO800 and then play around with the exposure times depending on what I'm imaging.

For example a bright moon you will get away with a much faster setting than if you were imaging M31.

With regards to stacking I use DSS (deep sky stacker) and then edit the final image in Photoshop.

Looking at your sig I see you have a 10" Newt on the LXD75 so you will probably want to keep your exposures around 30 to 60 seconds depending on what the tracking is like on that mount and how your polar alignment is. Other than that just have a play with different exposure times and see what you get. Anything over a minute or two and you are heading into the realms of guided imaging but if you choose to do that it will really depend on how much weight that mount can take.

The most fun I had was popping the camera on a basic tripod and doing some star trail images and shorter exposures of constellations.

Hi Fellas,thanks for the info, bought he camera today in Nottingham from the London camera exchange with a 3 month warranty.

Have been looking on flea bay but prices seem to go v.high.

Any how will try it when I get back home next week (weather permitting).

Simon, have you removed the filter yourself, if so did you replace it with clear glass?

Cheers

Martin.

Hi Martin, let that 3 month warranty lapse then before doing anything.

Mine came with the mod already done but it hasnt had a replacement filter put back in but when using the camera during the daytime the AF isnt that far out at all and to the untrained eye it probably wouldnt show up.

The best mod I have seen for the 300D is upgrading the firmware. That website thats been linked to above mentions it and its very easy to do. Its called the undutchables mod and basicaly turns the 300D into a 30D, very nice indeed so you will have mirror lock up and some other options become available.

I was going to mod my 1000D but decided against it in the end as I already had one so sold it. Whilst investigating doing the mod myself it didnt look too much trouble but I am forever taking things apart. Andy (Astronomiser) obviously guarantee's his work so it is well worth considering it.

Hi Simon, yes will let the warranty expire, anyhow will need time to get used to using it and then will look into which way to go with the mod.

Do you use battery power or a mains adapter as I have read that freezing temps can cause some cameras to malfunction.

Cheers

Martin.

The cold can wreak havoc with a camera. I always use batteries myself but may well move into something with a cord on it.

Have a look around for the Kendrick body sock which is a really well made neoprene cover that will go over the camera and protect it quite well. If imaging with a lens you can then use a short dew strap and dew controller to keep the lens clear.

• 1 month later...

Archived