Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution and RGB / SII / OIII Imaging

Coco

Light Pollution and RGB / SII / OIII Imaging

Over the last couple on Moonlit nights ive been trying to get some extra data on my M33 image, the biggest problem is the Blue filter, at the moment I’m allowing an extra 40% length to the exposure but I’m getting poor results, the problem is that M33 in blue just doesn’t look exposed enough, green and red look great but have a bad gradient in them presumably from Moon glow?

Next question.

Does SII & OIII have the same issues with light population and the Moon?

Cheers

Guy

I have found OIII is susceptible to interference from the moon, Ha & SII much less so.

LP doesn't do any favours for any filter, although all narrowband filters will cut through much more than broadband.

The problem is that narrowband are only really useful for emission nebula, not really suited to galaxies etc. although there's nothing to stop you trying it out! I got a decent M33 out of an Ha/OIII/OIII image.

for LP, narrowband filters are far superior to any broadband.

In fact I can image through Ha for an hour in central scotland, in midsummer, with full moon, from a suburban location and still get good quality subs with 15 min exposures.

from the light polluted UK, I would only really consider narrowband

• 4 weeks later...
I have found OIII is susceptible to interference from the moon, Ha & SII much less so.

LP doesn't do any favours for any filter, although all narrowband filters will cut through much more than broadband.

The problem is that narrowband are only really useful for emission nebula, not really suited to galaxies etc. although there's nothing to stop you trying it out! I got a decent M33 out of an Ha/OIII/OIII image.

I have just discovered this on 2 hours worth of OIII data... wish I'd stretched the first image :)

It appears like a moon bow (rainbow) across the image.. :)

Archived