Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starting my pier

Glider

I've finally collected the bits to start my pier.

3m of 200mm OD drainage pipe.

My Astroboot HEQ5 tripod head with fittings.

3 lengths of threaded rod.

I'm thinking at least 2' of pipe sunk in a 3' x 3' x 3' hole. Filled with concrete.

Is that big and deep enough?

Also, I was going to cut the pipe off at tripod height with the legs retracted. Then I thought, why not make it as tall as is practical to still be able to lift and fit the OTA?

This will give me more clear horizon for imaging but at the expense of being awkward to observe with the reflector when the eye piece ends up in the wrong place, ie 8' off the ground!.

I'm favouring 4' of pier above ground.

post-17592-133877505166_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877505172_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877505178_thumb.jpg

There is always a conflict here - you need the pier as short as possible for rigidity but tall enough for the scope to get the "best" view. You can always use a small stepladder if you can't reach on the few occasions the scope is pointing near the zenith.

Personally I made my own pier to a height that prevented problems with neighbours house lights but still gave the maximum view over the walls of my observatory.

i went to a local metal merchats and got a piece of pipe (steel ) 6 ft and 12mm thick , also a flat plate 12mm steel 4ft by 10 ins cost of £30, went to a local wrought iron shop told them what i wanted done and that cost me £ 35 , a local fabricator fitted the hqe5 tripod head on to top plate making sure the raised lug would be pointing (north)£45 ... it works great

Archived