Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Swindon Stargazers

Buzz Lightyear

Hi,

I have been on the lookout for an ideal dark spot and after using various online sites to show the darkest areas, i have found that white horse hill falls in a very dark area which is also at a high altitude, just 20mins from swindon.

I noticed many people use Barbury castle, is there any reason for this as it is still in a light poluted area or is it a good spot?

:) Paul.

May be something to do with car access. I am not too far from White Horse Hill and know it well - you have to walk some distance from the car park (unless you are handicapped), so it would be ok for binos but hard work if you were trying to lug a monster scope....

Chris

I had a look at the blue badge car park, its a good site, there is also a field you could drive on as you enter the small road from the main road not far from the main car park, loads of room and flat ground.

i had a scout around there and there is many ideal spots, but i agree not the best for a group of people and it would be exposed and cold.

has nobody actually been up there and seen how clear the skies are?

there is another spot near fox hill, its really good, just off road with parking, but the light polution website states its a pretty poluted area, i will just have to compare white horse to fox hill to my back garden and find the difference.

I live not too far away too. I guess SS use Barbury beacuse of the hard standing and access to car power supplies, but the LP looking down the hill must be quite bad. If you do need your car I'd be inclined to pitch up in the disabled car park @ WH - can't imagine it gets much use after dark. Otherwise as someone has said, the field next to the main car park would be good just for visual. Wrap up warm!

Hi Stephen,

I was on the whte horse hill yesterday 6pm before the moon came up and the milky way was very strong, it was the most stars i have seen in a long time, the double cluster near cassiop 884, 869 was twice the size as i see in my back garden.

with Andromeda, i could see the dust trails filling my 15x70 bins FOV, it was so much better.

pity i forgot my weights for telescope and to resort to my bins.

It was very dark, with faint glow on horizon from swindon and wantage, buit you cannot see any city lights, i parked in the field as you drive down the small lane towards the disbaled parking, the area is quite safe.

but i think when the ice gets here, it will be too dodgy to use.

p.

Archived