NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are there brass rings for 2" EP's

Hi

Are there any brass ring adapters for 2" EP's to avoid screw dimples ? I see telescop express do a retro fit for SW's but after postage they are almost the price of a new crayford focuser.

I see the low profile duel speed focuser have them for 2". I have 2 scopes but can't afford to upgrade both to low profile so is it possible to use one of these LP adapters in a standard focuser??

SPACEBOY

Not exactly an answer to your question, but as your problem is avoiding

set screw marks on eyepiece chrome barrels, here is a fix that may help.

If your eyepieces have a safety undercut, then you can cut some black

tape to apply to the undercut. You may be able to fit two layers without

making it too large, so it still fits the focuser, and still have a small undercut

left for safety.

I've done this on my 27 Pan, as I wanted to avoid the inevitable screw marks.

After a while however, the black tape looks tatty. I may replace with some

"Dymo" label tape, that should last a lot longer. Lot's of other DIY to do first,

as "tatty" still works !

Won't work if you have tapered undercuts.

HTH, Ed.

I did think about taping but I would still want to do the thumb screws tight as a couple of dimples are nothing compared to the ep falling from the focuser. I can't understand how there seems a plentiful supply of 1.25" compression rings but less 2". Obviously there are more 1.25" in circulation but they do make a range of 2" as well. With the cost of 2" ep's compared to 1.25" you would think there would be compression ring adapters available at a reasonable cost.

A cheap alternative for now is to replace the steel set screws with nylon thumbscrews. They will still hold you eyepiece properly but won't mark the eyepiece barrel.

John

This was also a consideration and one I would like to persue but where do you get them from? Is the thread of them OK for continued use or do you have to buy a load spare? Getting the thread size right is one thing but do they come as a thumb screw?

Any recommendations John?

Archived