NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did I see a daylight Leonid this morning?

This morning at 8.08am, I was driving to work and was here:

melksham - Google Maps

Slowing down for a roundabout, I clearly saw an object, bearing ENE, fall from an altitude of about 50 degrees (where it came into the purvue of my windscreen) to about 30 degrees, at which point it abruptly disappeared. It took the form of a point of bright blueish-white light, and was falling at a significant speed but slower than a night-time shooting star. It was visible for maybe a second. Significantly, it fell against a background of stratocumulus cloud - this was *not* in the upper atmosphere.

A quick look at Stellarium confirms that it was radiating from the vicinity of Leo. Did I see a daytime meteor? And if so, how rare are they? I couldn't steer straight for the rest of the journey for thinking how lucky I was to see this.

Could have been a daytime Iridium flash, check it out on Heavens Above, you will have to register and then enter your location. Heavens-Above Home Page

An iridium flare visible through stratocumulus? I checked heavens above and there was one at 07.37, and that was NNE. I am positive about the time, I did a voice record of the event immediately afterwards.

Archived