Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

synscan

You can upgrade afterwards but personally I would advise against it. When I upgraded mine the upgrade didn't work out too well. Reason being the non goto mount seemed less well tuned and with the goto kit fitted the mount kept binding up badly.

The result was I had to strip and rebuild the mount to get it to work. Long way round that was a good thing as I now as a result of the knOw how gained created both my heq5 strip down guide and also allowed me to become a master of heq5 tuning up to the point where my own mount now runs far far better than any factory fresh one BUT if you hit snags and aren't confident from a diy/engineering standpoint it could be a painful process.

In fairness others have done the upgrade and had few problems or none at all.

If clash is tight right now but you want synscan later it may be a way to go.

if i get a heq 5 with no synscan can i add it be added on?

If you get the newer Syntrek version without GoTo, all you have to change is the handcontroller.

If you have an older HEQ5, then you first have to change the drives and gears to the Syntrek/SynScan *and* get the new handcontroller. Mind you, the drives and gears are actually a lot better, but it's a more risky undertaking than just plugging in a new handcontroller.

Archived