NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Good Star Guide book

If you have a leaning toward DSO then you will not go far wrong with " Illustrated guide to Astronomical wonders " it is now well recommended, covers the main objects of interest in each constellation all M, and many NGC and others, each subject has location maps finder circles, how to find and a photo of what you can expect to see through bins to a medium scope, some 500+ pages about £16 through Amazon, together with your star maps you will almost have a full nights observing lol.

John.

If you have a leaning toward DSO then you will not go far wrong with " Illustrated guide to Astronomical wonders " it is now well recommended, covers the main objects of interest in each constellation all M, and many NGC and others, each subject has location maps finder circles, how to find and a photo of what you can expect to see through bins to a medium scope, some 500+ pages about £16 through Amazon, together with your star maps you will almost have a full nights observing lol.

John.

totally agree its a great book:p

You'll love the Atlas. The sister book met with luke warm reviews but I don't know it. Lots of people like Turn Left At Orion.

You could buy a bunch of guides cheaply by searching on ABEbooks.com if you don't know this book search system already.

Olly

I would recommend the atlas because of the large pages and amount of sky it reveals per page. I would further recommend getting either the laminated version or dismantle the ordinary one (like I did) and put each page in a large plastic wallet to avoid dew getting on the pages. However, from a price point of view, this is certainly not the cheapest option and this is where the 'Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders could be a better choice, as it is physically more manageable than the Atlas and does provide very interesting reading.

James

I purchsed the Sky & Telescope's POCKET SKY ATLAS from Amazon - lots of others had also previously recommended this on this forum as well. Its much cheaper than the full sky atlas, and is very detailed & perfect for my (more advanced) needs.

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas: Amazon.co.uk: Roger W. Sinnott: Books

I also have the "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders", which is also a fabulous reference book - very easy to use

hi people,

this is what i got in the end.

S&T Pocket Atlas for field use

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders (

Sky Atlas 2000

got the lot new from amazon for around £50

I have TLAR, but i feel i needed something a bit more in depth.

There is a 2nd hand Uranometria 2000 Northen Hemisphere going for £23 on amazon.

cheers.

P.

Archived