NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Things are "looking up" for Basildon.

simon84

I've just been to the local chippy to get some din dins and I popped into the Newsagent to waste a pound on the lottery.

As I was leaving I noticed the front page of the local rag and a huge smile appeared on my face.

The bods in charge are going to be turning off 70% of the streetlights in Basildon from midnight onwards. Now I didnt think to buy the paper and someone wanted to come in as the stand was by the front door so I dont know all the details. Some Tory plank has decided to campain against it.....he obviously lives out in the sticks where its nice and dark.

A fantastic start though. I will get more details from the website when they publish the story on there. Probably at about 10pm tonight after todays papers have finished selling but I for one am very happy and will sending in a letter praising the local council for its efforts.

Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later but if it goes ahead it should be very good.

Here's hoping it comes to pass.

The morons who run the council where I live seem to be working in the opposite direction, in a well lit area close to my home they installed a small roundabout, and for good measure they decided to throw up two more street lights, sunglasses are required to go around it at night.

I've just been to the local chippy to get some din dins and I popped into the Newsagent to waste a pound on the lottery.

As I was leaving I noticed the front page of the local rag and a huge smile appeared on my face.

The bods in charge are going to be turning off 70% of the streetlights in Basildon from midnight onwards. Now I didnt think to buy the paper and someone wanted to come in as the stand was by the front door so I dont know all the details. Some Tory plank has decided to campain against it.....he obviously lives out in the sticks where its nice and dark.

A fantastic start though. I will get more details from the website when they publish the story on there. Probably at about 10pm tonight after todays papers have finished selling but I for one am very happy and will sending in a letter praising the local council for its efforts.

Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later but if it goes ahead it should be very good.

That's great news, we should now be able to see the twinkle twinkle of small arms fire in Vange (I jest, I jest!). From my location in Rayleigh I can see two enourmous lights on a pole(s) that I think are associated with 'Bas Vagas', I imagine those will stay lit.

I think you have Vange and Pitsea mixed up :) Or Craylands or Laindon..... lol.

I know Bas Vegas is well lit but I cant think of two lights on a pole or poles. There is a pretty big light on a huge pole near Northlands Park on the roundabout......

heh, I had Laindon in there first but changed it for some reason, Pitsea is too easy a target (or so I'm told).

Yeh I don't know what the two lights are, I think they're on separate poles but make an optical double. I've looked in the daytime and can see a five or six similar pylons with lights mounted on them and spaced almost as though they surround a stadium. It's hard to tell as they tower above some screening trees. Anyway they appear well to the right of the Onion water tower so I don't think they're associated with the roundabout. It's not important but it's bothered me enough that I now have to find out what they are grrr..

EDIT: That was quick, I think it's the althletics track by Cranes Farm Road, I wonder if I asked nicely that they'd consider dipping them a bit :)

If they are to the right of the Onion they might have something to do with Basildon FC or the Rugby club. I thought they might have something to do with the sports center development but they would be to the left of the onion.

Think I've found them, they could be the light in the middle of the tractor plant car park. googlemaps

I found the story, here is the link to it, Anger at county?s plan to switch off the lights (From Echo)

Always some who wants to rubbish the idea crying safety.....I do believe they are aiming for 70% which will probably be lights that are on roads and not housing estates. Even I would be concerned to walk through a housing estate with no lighting.

Archived