Finding angular separation in Stellarium

Thanks, lukebl. :) Found it!!

My reason for wanting it is that sometimes it's useful to know angular separation to know whether two objects will fit in the same photo. A planet and a cluster, say.

Anyway, that seems to do the trick.

One very simple program called Night Vision does the same thing. When you click on one object and then the next object it gives you the angular separation. I prefer Stellarium though.

Cheers. :)

Instructions for those who have it installed by default but haven't used it yet (i.e. me :) ):

1. Enable the tool by clicking the tool-bar button, or by pressing control-A. A message will appear at the bottom of the screen to tell you that the tool is active.
  2. Drag a line from the first point to the second point using the left mouse button
  3. To clear the measurement, click the right mouse button
  4. To deactivate the angle measure tool, press the tool-bar button again, or press control-A on the keyboard.

EDIT: these are the instructions off the site but for me I have to left click to clear the measurement (RE: step 3)

Archived