Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bino viewer with Celestron CPC??

Hi, does anyone have experience using a WO Binovewer with a CPC??

I had to use the 1.6x additional barlow with my 4" refractor.

I just wondered if it would work on a CPC 800 with out this extra lens. This would keep the magnification down to better levels.

Bob

Hi Bob - yes you can use it with or without the 1.6x barlow - the cpc has a lot of focus throw so it's not too much of a problem focusing either way. I usually have a bit of a juggle with my bits to get a good combination though.

I use a 2" diagonal (WO CF) and an Antares 1.6x barlow which is slightly better quality than the barlow supplied with the binoviewers - but don't overmagnify with the ep's. 15mm - 20mm is more than enough, any higher and it starts getting fuzzy. :)

Cheers for that. I have a WO 11/4" diagonal and a WO bino viewer.

The Bino came with 20mm eye pieces and I have a pair of 10mm also.

I don`t have any 2" eps nor do I have a 2" diagonal.

Just wondering whether it might be worth changing up to 2" or not.

Do you think any improvement in viewing is worth the extra money?

Bob

Opinion is divided on the 2" diagonals - personally I think the 2" diagonal brightens the image a fair bit and improves the contrast when using bv's - but don't ask me to explain it lol. I just like trying different configurations and settling for the best views I can achieve. I think FLO are doing the WO CF's for around £85 at the moment wich is a great bargain. Mine was £115 from Ace when I got it but it included a 2" SCT adaptor wich you would need. You may get one cheaper in the For Sale section or Astro Buy/Sell. Alternatively the Celestron XLT is great - but so's the price lol :)

Thanks, I know the bino takes 11/4" eps, I just wondered if the 2" diagonal with reducer would make any difference? I think I`ll wait and see for myself once I get first light on this scope. Believe it or not, my newly bought CPC is still siting in its boxes because I haven`t got my new shed up and running yet!!

I have used WO binoviewers with my 9.25 Nexstar which is very similar to the CPC and they were wonderful. I did use a 1.25" diagonal and it worked fine. I now use a 2" dielectric diagonal and I think the main benefit is the extra sturdiness and I believe the view is marginally better although I haven't really tested that. I also use a pair of TV 8-24mm zoom eyepieces and find their quality very superior to the supplied eyepieces and although they are quite expensive save having the need for pairs of different focal length.

Dave

That sounds nice! I have recently bought a Pentax 6.5 - 19 but can`t afford two them!

At least I know that I should be in for some decent views through the bino.with my CPC! I think I`ll stick to the 11/4" for now and try to borrow a 2" to compare before buying.

Many thanks, Bob

If anyone is interested I have a spare 1.6x Antares barlow. Was a pain & expensive to get hold of new. In the end I have only used it once for a few minutes and decided it is not appropriate for the intened use (barlowing a 13mm Ethos) so will be selling it some point. A nice optic (but rather ugly sandwiched between a paracorr and 13mm Ethos - the combo is too heavy).

jon

Archived