TAL-1...is it a good beginners scope?

Hi everyone, I have been trying to decide on what to get for a first scope and after quite a bit of thought have decided to compromise portability and lightness for (I hope) a quality scope that is well suited to a beginner. I have had a few ideas and this is one that "won't go away", if you know what I mean. All my researches have been very positive, can anyone give me their experience of the TAL-1? Thanks in advance, Li'l John.

Great, well made scope - if you buy on ebay be very careful - theres a lot of older ones on there which have 'issues'. Make sure its one of the newer ones otherwise you may end up with hassles when you try and use other eyepieces.

TAL scopes are clunky, retro but VERY lovable and you wont find many who will say a bad word about the quality of the optics. The construction is a bit weird at times but its all made like a russian tank - durable, solid etc and the optics will be first rate.

Also consider joing the TAL user group on here - check out the 'Community' button at the top of the screen.

I've still got mine - bought 16 years ago as my first scope and I've only just 'upgraded' to a 10" dob. Mine has given me hours of pleasure. Still can't use the setting circles though!

I do't think you could go wrong with one of these in a good condition.

I still have mine too from about 1995 and IMHO it has given me the best views of any scope i have used including my 8 inch sct and no vibration problems. has built in suppression pads!. The controls are amazing and make it so easy to keep an object in view. Coloured double stars look fantastic Ras Algethi comes to mind...I saw great detail on Mars when at its last close approach and Jupiter is always pleasing. Plus you get all the filters 2x barlow and 2 great eyepieces plus a sun tray and piggyback mount for a camera - it really is a dream to use !

Just a quick post to thank you all for your very encouraging and helpful comments. I think the Tal-1 is the scope for me and will be ordering one soon. And yes, I will be joining the Tal Users Group as soon as I have my hands on it. Li'l John

Archived