Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is there a formula for FOV

Rob wright

As title says realy I am trying to fine the fov through a Orion starblast 6 with different eye pieces and wondered if there is a formula to find out?

say a 25mm ep and the scope is a 150 mm with fl of 750mm

Its a great scope I want to be able to set stellerium to roughly the same fov

I've always used true field of view = apparent field of view / magnification, where magnification = telescope focal length / eyepiece focal length.

So for a 13mm Ethos, 100-degree AFOV, 1040mm Focal length you'd get 80x magnification (1040/13) and TFOV = 100/80 = 1.25 degrees. Can't answer your example, as I don't know the AFOV of the 25mm - magnification would be 750/25 = 30x

True field of view can be measured directly using the drift method: Measuring field-of-view

Or it can be calculated from the apparent field of view of the eyepiece divided by magnification (as Ben says). The following is from Luginbuhl and Skiff's Observing Handbook:

"The apparent field is sometimes given by the manufacturer, but it can quite easily determined as follows. Holding the eyepiece to one eye, position yourself such that the circle of light you can see through the eyepiece is the same size as something viewed simultaneously with your other eye: a window frame for example, or a standard 11-inch piece of paper on a table. After measuring the size of the object, and the distance from it to your eye, the apparent field (in arcminutes) can be computed as:

apparent field = 120 arctan[d/(2r)]

where

d = size of object

r = distance from object to eye (in same units as used for d)."

Archived