NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's your favourite deep sky object for the summer?

AndyMac

As someone for whom M8 & M20 doesn't get above the rooftops, it has to be M17 the Swan nebula (AKA the horseshoe nebula, the lobster beula, the omega nebula etc. etc.). This is a nice, bright nebula, though rather low down from the UK, which really does look like a swan. On a night of good transparency, you can make out many of the wisps that make up this nebula.

Here's a picture I took of it last year:

may04m17.jpg

Very Nice Andy, My personal Fav has to be NGC 7000 from a Dark Site the view can be Stunning esp in Bino's i have found it to be one of those Dso's thats best viewed with the Binos as aposed to imaging it...

M57 can also be vastly rewarding....

James :)

Thanks James. I must admit that I've never seen the NA - though I also own a pair of 10X50 binos. How distinct is it from a dark sky site? I have to admit that not having a car greatly limits my chances of getting to a dark sky site. :) I've always regarded it as being too faint to be caught by visiual observing & was only able to be caught by imaging.

Is the Pelican also visible?

Thanks Rob. I've got to say that out of the summer planetaries, I've always favoured the Dumbell over the Ring. I just find its larger size & brightness more of a 'showpiece' to look at. As for the autumn Helix, this is one faint babe that I've never seen. :)

Great pic Andy. Now thats the sort of image i dream of taking.

I agree with you on M27. Best of the planetary nebula. It even makes a good bino target.

For me galaxies rule the roost. And if i was to narrow it down to just one it would be M81/M82. Well that's two but who's counting.

Russ

Must admit that I've never been 'big' on galaxies Russ. Mainly because they're so darned difficult to capture on film. M81/M82 would be near the top of my list. I think M51 would be my first choice. The Sombrero would also be a top favourite.

I must admit that I've never seen the NA - though I also own a pair of 10X50 binos. How distinct is it from a dark sky site?

Andy, it's very distinct from a Dark Site and also just within reach from a poor old light polluted light bulb of a place like here...

James :)

The problemI have with the North American nebula is it's too darn big to view all at once! I consistantly overlook it in the C8 a couple times before I find the Gulf of Mexico and go back. :roll: The Pelican is a good one, though and right next door, so acts as a good sign post.

Archived