Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full moon over Shanghai

I've just returned from a trip to China and apart from the sun (sometimes) and Jupiter if the skies were relatively clear, the only other thing visible in China's heavily polluted skies was the moon. Here it is briefly breaking through a hole in the fug over the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai.

I've cheated a little, dropping in a moon that had been shot under better conditions right over the crappy Chinese version. It should also be rotated to match the original but I'll leave that for another day...

For those interested, it was shot on a full frame Canon with a 70-200 lens with quite a bit of correcting in PS to get rid of the horrible browny-orange light pollution.

Thanks for looking.

Jon

post-18666-133877501484_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's right. It's technique I use a lot, especially if the sky is dark.

The original moon was slightly elongated due to the 20 second and totally burnt out. I tried a much shorter exposure immediately after to record some detail on it but the clouds had closed over.

post-18666-13387750195_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean about the nasty fugg-stuff they call sky in the cities over here. In ShenZhen recently, through the orangey smog, directly above me was the full moon and Jupiter away to the left. I can only say that's what they were because I knew what they were. Some folk just wern't having none of it though...

Hi Jon

I like the finished version. The blue cast is a big improvement over the original and the tonal adjustment is spot on. Also like the way you've angled the tower - far more interesting composition than a conventional vertical perspective.

Still curious as to why you chose such a long exposure though. I've been to Shanghai several times and have always been impressed with how bright the tower is. I know what you mean about the fuggy skies though. Struggled to see the sun some days during the summer!

Kev

Hi Kev,

The exposure was f13 @ 20s with the ISO set to 100. I guess I could've shot at a wider aperture and higher ISO to reduce the exposure time but the moon was always going to blow out if I exposed to retain detail in the tower. As I said in an earlier post, the clouds closed in before I could shoot a second frame exposing for the moon. Also, this was taken before the tower lights had come on so it was pretty dark.

I took the shot for a photo-agency hoping that the inclusion of a full moon might make it a little more appealing to picture buyers. To be honest, I not sure if it works all that well and wouldn't be surprised if the agency rejected it. The Opera House shot was taken for the same reasons and I think works much better - twilight, no fugg and a pleasant crescent moon with earthshine. But then, this hasn't sold yet so what do I know?

Cheers,

Jon

post-18666-13387750224_thumb.jpg

Really like that one. You've definitely got a good eye for architectural composition. Would like to see more of your work. Sounds like you photograph professionally. Do you have a website or blog?

Edit: forgot to ask, what Canon d'you use? (as you can see below, I favour the dark side myself!)

Thanks Kev. I shoot stock travel photography for a living and my camera is a 1DS Mk3. To my shame I don't have a website but hopefully will sort one out before too long. It's just that I've never really had the need for one because I only sell my work through photo-agencies.

So you're a Nikon user. I used to have a FM2 in the bad old days of film. Best camera I ever owned but I'd never want to go back to shooting film.

I see from your blog that your company has an office in Hangzhou. You must have some wonderful photos of West Lake. I only gave myself one day there on my recent trip to China which wasn't nearly enough, especially as the weather wasn't great. It must have been amazing to shoot a full eclipse there. Brilliant images by the way.

I see from your blog that your company has an office in Hangzhou. You must have some wonderful photos of West Lake. I only gave myself one day there on my recent trip to China which wasn't nearly enough, especially as the weather wasn't great. It must have been amazing to shoot a full eclipse there. Brilliant images by the way.

Hi Jon

Yes, West Lake is a beautiful place and has eaten several gigs of CF space. Just for interest, here are a few taken in early morning in winter - the only ones I've got with a loosely astro theme! Incredibly atmospheric place. The sunrise ones were taken at high ISO using a point and click, so not the best quality, but maybe the grain adds to the atmosphere? Then again, maybe not!

Thanks for your comments about my blog pics. Not up to your standard I'm sure, but fun to do.

cheers

post-19542-133877502322_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877502329_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877502335_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877502341_thumb.jpg

Yes, I thought so, you do have wonderful images of the lake. YM is spot on, you've really captured the essence of West Lake, something I didn't manage in my short time there. I love the misty bridge shot and wish I'd taken it. Should've allowed for another couple of days but with a young family at home it's difficult to spend too long away.

The attached is a work in progress - sky quickly dropped in and not sure how I'm going to tone it yet (kinda blue at the moment). Will also take some people off the bridge and maybe rearrange the others as it's a little too busy. Yet despite all this PS trickery, it can never compare with the 'real' magical conditions found in your misty bridge pic.

That's travel photography though. There's usually only a short period of time to come up with the goods and an awful lot depends on the weather. There's nothing worse than after spending 17 hours in cattle class watching airline abridged movies with all the best bits taken out, and then struggling to eat plastic food with plastic cutlery while trying to avoid your neighbour's elbows only to arrive at a wonderful destination and it's drizzling. Especially when my wife tells me that the weather is glorious at home! :)

post-18666-133877502364_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments about my pics. I've been lucky in that I've visited Hangzhou about 10 times, at different times of year, so it's been more a case of "right place, right time". The atmosphere of the place really changes depending on the season. Spring is great when all the cherry blossom is out, and this gives a totally different feel. I think my favourite time is winter though. The mist and tonal effects can be visually stunning. Add in the locals doing various forms of Tai Chi (you have to visit before breakfast to see that) and fishing for their supper, makes it a surreal place.

Really like your bridge shot. You've captured a great sky there. Love the way the mountains fade as they recede, and the clouds are great. Should be easy enough to take out some of the people as the background is fairly simple. But which ones to retain to get the effect you want?! My vote would be to keep the couple standing still just left of centre, and remove the rest. Getting rid of the reflections will require more work though!

Please could you let me see the final version? I'm sure it will be stunning.

Hope you manage to get back there for a longer visit. Unfortunately, my Hangzhou days are in the past now, but at least I've got my pics (and loads of video!) to help me remember.

cheers

Kev

You're welcome Kev, they are wonderful images. It's a pity you no longer have the opportunity to go back there.

Actually the sky was totally blank so the clouds are from Uruguay of all places. I thought they fitted the scene but might try something different in the final version. The people will be easy to change because I have several shots taken on a tripod as they walked through the picture. This is something I normally do when the inclusion of figures plays an important roll in the composition and gives me a choice of who stays in and who gets the chop! I'll post the finished version.

Cheers,

Jon

Kev, you've certainly caught the tranquility of the lake there. I find it amazing how easy it can be to find such peace and clam in such a mad country!

You're right there! Hard to believe that just round the corner you're in the middle of one of the biggest cities in China!

Actually the sky was totally blank so the clouds are from Uruguay of all places.

Jon

A multi-national picture, very cool!

I like your method for taking shots with people - I must remember that, thanks. There was me thinking you'd do something old-school like using the clone tool!

Look forward to seeing the finished image.

Kev

Archived