Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Impressions Of Optics Past And Present

gordyb

I had advice a few years ago to avoid any scope, even reputable makes such as Celestron and Meade, that had been made in the run up to the return of Halley's Comet in 1986. Apparently quality control was rather relaxed in the year or so prior to that to ensure that the market was well supplied with scopes. Any mediocre scope made in the period 1984-87 used to be known as a "Halleyscope" :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had advice a few years ago to avoid any scope, even reputable makes such as Celestron and Meade, that had been made in the run up to the return of Halley's Comet in 1986. Apparently quality control was rather relaxed in the year or so prior to that to ensure that the market was well supplied with scopes. Any mediocre scope made in the period 1984-87 used to be known as a "Halleyscope" :)

Good thing I built my first scope in 1978, and bought my C8 in 1996, both well outside the "Halleyscope" period:D

Archived