Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher tracking and finding stars

Hello,

First let me say that the problems I describe below I believe are probably due to my inexperience, eg, "noob" problems, so any advice greatly appreciated.

1) SkyWatcher tracking system. I have a SW250px dob. It has a motorised tracking system, but I seem to be having trouble getting it to track. I have followed the setup instructions which included aligning the scope with north and setting the AZ to zero and switching it on and off. I also set my latitude as per the instructions. When I try to track an object there is very limited success, I did once mange to track Jupiter for about 10 minutes but other than that objects tend to just slip out of view. The tracking is showing as working (the buttons on the handset flash) and I can hear the motors turning if I listen carefully.

Is there something I am missing? As I understand it after the initial setup i don’t need to do any other alignment or positioning when i use the scope. I should just be able to plonk it down anywhere and be ready to go, is this not correct?

2) Finding objects: No doubt this is problem all beginners have and no doubt practice will make it better at, it but my question is a little more specific. When looking through the finder scope the scope's movement obviously appears reversed , no problem with this, however when looking through the EP everything is shifted again by 45 degrees (?) or something. Presumably this is a factor of the EP sticking out a right angle to the direction of the scope, but I find it very difficult to translate the direction of travel through the EP to the direction I know I want to scope to go. This makes star hopping very difficult as I know I need to go “up” a bit and “left” a bit, but when looking through the EP it goes diagonal a bit.

Are there any tips on accustoming oneself to this?

Thanks for any advice.

John

Q1, You need to polar align. check out astro-babys website on that, it is only tricky the first time round then it become alot easier. Also the mount has to be LEVEL! any slight deifference can cause the mount to drift. So its usual comon practice to use your own level.

Once you have 'polar aligned' you cannot move the mount without messing it up and having to re-do it again, even an accedental knock on the tripod leggs will mess it up. So what many people do is too mark exactly where the leggs go on the spot you observe from and with out dismantiling the mount, if you can just move it in side with out adgusting anything, you will be able to set it back in the marks you made and then you will be able to just go for it it, missing out the alignment process.

Q2, Oh yes, think we can all defently relate to this one! Yes it does take...for me years! to find your way around. But there is certain things that make your life easier.

Such as a Telrad finder or red dot finder, which gives you a un-magnified veiw so up is up their. Also you can get corrected view magnified finder scopes so that helps too.

My favourate is the telrad, as they have charts that coincide with the projected view you see, so these are truley designed for star hoping.

Another tip for star hoping is to pre plan a few objects and studdy them well. Don't over do it just a few. So look at the charts i.e stellerarium or paper, and start of seasy so pick objects that are close to bright stars and even better close to the main picture if you like of the constallation. Make it as easy as you can for your self. there is plenty of objects up their to find in 'easy spots' for instance in the big dipper there is a few galixys, everone knowes the pot handle! :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Michael

Thanks for all that info Michael, more practice for me!

I have read a few other posts about people with faulty tracking on their SW Dobs. Does anyone know if it is true that I have to polar align and setup up the lattitude each session? The manual states not, but then I see other people say that despite what the manual says you do....

Thanks

Hi John

After the initial setup (check this thread for more info: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/106836-skywatcher-300p-auto-not-tracking-2.html) you will still need to align North and level the tube every time you switch on.

For star hopping get a red dot finder it makes life so much easier, otherwise you've got to work out that your finder scope will be reversed on the x and y axis, so it's not very intuitive.

As for seeing things at a 45 deg angle, that is because your eyes are not in the same line as the tube - the angle that you are seeing will be the difference of your eyes (which are probably horizontal) and whatever angle your tube your tube is - if you make your eyes the same angle as the tube everything will appear correct, in practice that is a pain, so you'll probably just learn to live with it.

Also Jupiter still won't stay in the fov to the same degree as a star/galaxy as being a solar system object it's got additional movement.

Thanks for all the info guys, very helpful. I think the tracking issue is my failure to setup on each session. The manual clearly states you only need to align once, but it would seem it is wrong.

Next clear night I will give it a test.

Thanks for the info on the view angle in relation to the scope, this makes sense. Getting used to it is the order of the day I think.

Thanks again.

Archived