Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece choice for an LX90

I’ve recently taken up observing again and have an LX90 8”

With it I got unbranded super plossls, 6, 12, 17, 25 and 40mm but not that impressed with the contrast and colour.

I will be mainly viewing planets and DSOs which I know makes it more difficult.

I am looking at University Optics Konigs and ortho, but finding them very hard to get hold of.

I have bought, but not had delivered a 9mm UO ortho and a 32mm Konig, both second hand and 1.25” (i’ve got a Meade 5000 2” diagonal)

without spending loads what would be a good fit for the gaps.

I have been looking at the sky's the limit explorer ED eyepieces, maybe the 15 and 25 and maybe a 2” for viewing things like the Pleiades, so reasonable FOV without too much magnification?

Any ideas, also got Bob's knobs on order as that will probably make more difference :)

I have a Meade LX90 8 inch telescope, I have found the Meade Super Plossl eye pieces to be find for viewing the night sky. The higher numbered eye pieces I think are better than the higher mag ones. If you budget will extend to more expensive eye pieces, the Pentax ones are very good and give good clear views. Another way of getting more eye pieces is to buy different size Barlow Lens, not so bad in the pocket. Hope this helps a bit.:)

You can't go wrong with TeleVue, which are my own favourites. They do come up second hand, which is how I bought two of mine. Wide field, contrasty and sharp to the edge. Also easy to sell on if you find you don't like them (unlikely!) and made to last.

Olly

I have a Meade LX90 8 inch telescope, I have found the Meade Super Plossl eye pieces to be find for viewing the night sky.

Indeed - SCTs simply don't need super premium eyepieces, they work well with cheaper ones because f/10 is very eyepiece friendly. The better mid range eyepieces have more transmission and better contrast than cheapo types because the coatings are superior.

It's very hard to beat Baader Genuine Orthos for the higher powers - 12.5mm and 9mm are the ones that will work best with your scope.

Thanks, I've got a 9mm uo ortho on the way which I think is the same and very tempted by a couple of ed explorers (from skys the limit) about 15 and 25 or 12 and 18. Then also on the way is a 32mm konig.

I have got a decent Barlow so just need a 4 or 5 piece set I think to cover most things.

Archived