NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which one do I buy first?

I only have the money for one of these right now, but I'll get both edventually later.

Do I buy an Omegon light pollution filter

Or, a Super Plossl 9mm to switch out for my stock Super 10mm?

Omegon Light Pollution Filter 1.25 "

Teleskop-Service Telescope Service Super Plössl eyepiece 9mm 1.25'

If you find a better filter or a better eyepiece, do say.

I'm thinking the LP filter, but it says it's best on up to 112mm telescopes.

I would opt for the eyepiece. The standard 10mm that comes with scopes seems to be universally poor so even if you fitted a LP filter the image would still be poor.

May as well at least get some thing that produces a decent image first, then set about improving it.

Equally I don't have any filters but do have lots and lots of eyepieces. So a little bias.

Well, how bad is that 10mm ep? You have an f/8 scope, so an ep would have to be pretty bad to give you significant distortion. I would get a decent 6mm ep, and replace the 10 and 25mm later. Might even replace the 10 with a 16 or 17 if your main interest is DSOs.

I also think an EP gets much more use then a filter.

However I'm not sure you'll get much improvement with a 9mm which haves basically the same design as your 10mm. On that focal length, the range of EPs that seam to have more consensus, among experienced astronomers, are the 9mm TMB/TS planetary or a 9mm orthoscopic. The TMB/TS planetary go for 38£ new and have much better eye relief then any plossl in that focal lenght. I also read several reviews on them saying they have a quality very close to the Televue Radians, specially on not very slow scopes. I'm yet to try one, as I went for a few orthoscopics and an Ethos for my planetary/small DSO EPs.

I don't know anything about the TS plossls but I would expect them to be at the same level as the sky watcher or GSO ones. Have you searched any reviews on them?

Archived