Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Pro - Altitude Bolts

Hi, just a quick one...

I've recently acquired myself a NEQ6 Pro Synscan mount. I've read in the past that people have had trouble with the Altitude adjustment bolts (bending, not being easy to use, etc).

Having just done a test setup of the mount indoors, I can see why that might be.

Do people replace these bolts with something more sensible? Or just put up with them? Or what?

David

Quite a few folk...myself included have upgraded to these:

Synta Telescope Cables

scroll down the page a bit for the bolts.

They're not cheap and I originally upgraded to some simple stainless steel cap bolts...but at Kielder this year I took the plunge and have to say I wish I'd done it ages ago!

Have a search on the forum though there's plenty posted about these and others

clear skies

Mike

There are 3 main reasons why these adjusting screws bend.

1 - The steel is low quality

2 - The screws operate against an inclined surface which naturally encourages them to bend.

3 - Very often, the factory setting of the pivot is too stiff, requiring a lot of torque to effect the adjustment. It should be only tight enough to avoid flexure. If the scope is correctly balanced, very little effort should be needed to effect the adjustment. Just make sure that both screws are nipped up after the final setting. This is not to say, however, that replacement screws of better quality is not a good idea.:eek:.

I upgraded to the Stayfocused bolts, got them via ebay for about £20 I think. Well worth the investment and alot easier to use, my only grumble is the one with the plain hand knob and not the index handle is a tad too long and can interfere when doing a polar alignment.

I upgraded to the Stayfocused bolts, got them via ebay for about £20 I think. Well worth the investment and alot easier to use, my only grumble is the one with the plain hand knob and not the index handle is a tad too long and can interfere when doing a polar alignment.

TBH the same applies to the Astro-Development ones I got for the HEQ5

and those from Stayfocused look exactly like the AD ones :)

Bottom line tho is:- get 'em replaced :eek: & don't look back

Archived