Tal x2 Barlow with a BGO 12.5mm

Would this be a decent combination? I know the BGO's are considered to be very good quality, so I wouldn't want to end up with a poor quality view if the Tal isn't up to the job. I know the better solution would be to just get a 6mm BGO too, but getting both is a bit out of my budget.

I dont know that particular EP but i do know that FLO do not sell any ****.

If FLO sell both then i can only guess that they work well in conjunction with each other.

The TAL 2X barlow is the best £30 i have ever spent. It works fantastically with my collection of Celestron EP's.

Baader Genuine Ortho ?

I think they barlow well enough and the TAL is a decent barlow.

Bear in mind that you can pick up the BGO's for not much more than the barlow, used. While the barlow is good, it does add a couple more lens elements into the optical path.

There will probably be a very slight drop in contrast with any barlow when compared to a 6mm BGO.

To be honest I see little difference from my 9mm BGO + Bigbarlow and my 5mm BGO alone. But on those tiny details, like the shadow lines on a ridge of a moon crater, or the shape of the great red spot it can be the difference from barely visible to not visible at all. I would say 95% of the time you're not likely notice a difference.

PS-> Just grabbed a used 7mm BGO last week for 45£ + postage.

Got me thinking there so I just checked my Tal 2x barlow - it's single element as far as I can tell - but a great budget barlow certainly.

And you can't go wrong with Baader optics - but if you're spending that much I'd look at the Hyperions at only £20(ish) more. I have 3 of them and very happy - plus they are easily connected to a camera due to the threads under the eye relief rubber ring. :eek:

Got me thinking there so I just checked my Tal 2x barlow - it's single element as far as I can tell - but a great budget barlow certainly..

Possibly my confusing reference - it's a doublet, ie: two lenses, cemented together to form a single lens - I always class this as 2 lens elements in one group :eek:

The classic ortho has 4 elements in 2 groups - a cemented triplet field lens and a singlet eye lens.

Archived