Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unmodded DSLR

Considering getting a DSLR, Canon 1000d seems to be the tool of choice and is within the budget. However, I can't really justify modding it and only using it for astro work, I'd would still like to be able to use it as a "day to day" camera.

The plan is to continue with lunar that I'm currently doing with a P&P and have a go at DSO, so will I still get good results unmodded, what am I missing by not modding it?

Cheers

Neil

You'll be missing the red Hydrogen-alpha light that is emitted by those gorgeous diffuse nebulas. The unmodded camera only receives 25% or so of that light. The rest gets absorbed by a filter in the camera (turned into heat), hundreds or thousands of light years from its source and a few millimetres from your sensor. Isn't that a shame?

Quote from Thermos "Isn't that a shame?"....mmm, yes it would be....and may be getting away slightly from the whole point of doing it in the first place...

and..

SteveL "The canon IR filter is a bit over zealous"...is there possibly another make/model that isn't quite so unforgiving that could be worth considering maybe...

Cheers

Neil

Can I just get you all to have a look at these images taken with an unmodded 1000D and then ask the question, why bother?

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/115153-sadr-region-25-09-10-a.html

Admittedly Gary has used a custom white balance to get the result but I think I'd much rather do that than open up a camera.

If your only ever going to use the camera for astro then yes, go for it, but if there is even a slightest suggestion that you might use it for other things then leave it alone. I was going to mod but changed my mind and that was after buying the filter. So glad I did as I am now selling the camera and upgrading to a 60D. That camera wont be modded either.

Simon,

Thanks for the link to the pics, no bad I suppose! I'd be more that happy to get something close to what you've got there. Is your 1000D about to appear in the for sale section? If so drop me a PM, I could save you the trouble.

Cheers

Neil

Archived