Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My try of NGC700

SkyExplorer

Hi,

Just thought I'd post this, my effort at NGC7000 from last night. I took 27x120s lights and only 5 darks.

Not too happy with the processing this time - Any tips welcome.

Also it seems I've just got the north part of the America shape in.

Anyway, here you go...:)

post-18222-133877498419_thumb.jpg

You have it framed nicely and your focus and tracking are good. You have a reasonable amount of subs but the more subs you can get the better. I would also take more than 10 darks as a minimum preferably 16 or more. The darks should be done at the same temperature as the light frames.

Regards

Kevin

Thank Kevin,

So more lights and more darks... Can you have too many darks?

No but it's a law of diminishing returns as the amount of improvement of the signal to noise ratio tails off as you increase the number of subs. Aim for at least 10 but more than 16 would be preferable. It also becomes more difficult as you take longer subs because the length of time need to get an adequate number of darks could take hours to do. If it clouds over whilst doing an imaging run just cover the kit over then let it carry on taking darks. You can record the temperature then make up a library of dark exposure times and temperature.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I think I need to get hold a thermometer as I was thinking of creating a dark's library.

I may combine the 5x120s darks I took for NGC7000 with the 10x120s darks I took when imaging M31 as I thought the temp outside was similar on both nights.

Archived