Which new telescope?

I am looking to purchase my first good quality telescope. One proviso is that it should not be too heavy. I am looking at the 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian with synsync. I will use it mainly for observing but would like the ability to take photos. I have a Nikon D40. I am almost decided on this one. Any comments?

Importantly would you recommend a laser collimator as will not normally have a partner?

Thanks

Simon:)

For photography you need a mount capable of tracking without field rotation. Which means you need a motorized EQ mount (short for German Equatorial Mount). This scope is too heavy/large for most affordable EQs so even the EQ6 (goes for around 900£) would have some trouble with it.

This scope is an excellent all rounder for visual work, but not suited for photography, the dobson mount it's on won't allow photography, except for some basic planetary imaging using a webcam.

For imaging you should be looking to something like an HEQ5/EQ6 mount and a good refractor like the skywatcher ED80. However this setup won't be very satisfying for visual.

On a personal note, astronomy can be complicated in itself and imaging adds a lot of complexity and expense to it. I would recommend you start with visual only, then, once you read a couple of books on astro photography you can start thinking about that. Imaging is complex, it requires good knowledge of astronomy, photography, the gear (very important) and software for post processing. This usually takes years to master and be able to produce something near the images you can see on our imaging section.

Most people end with separate setups for visual and photography as they have a very different set of requirements.

EDIT: If imaging is really your goal, you should start with a good beginners book: try this one

Once you have an idea of the technics available and what gear you need for it, then you can make a purchase. This will save you a lot of time and money.

Paulo,

Thanks for that. I understand your points. It hasn't put me off buying the scope but has refocussed (!) my ideas on astrophotography. What about laser collimators. My concern is that collimating the telescope will be fiddly.

Simon

Paulo,

Thanks for that. I understand your points. It hasn't put me off buying the scope but has refocussed (!) my ideas on astrophotography. What about laser collimators. My concern is that collimating the telescope will be fiddly.

Simon

I certainly hope you don't feel discouraged! :mad:

I only meant to point out imaging is a slippery area and you should be informed of what you're getting into. :)

Only the very best work. They loose collimation them selfs so a good one costs as much as a good starter scope.

A Cheshire collimation EP is much cheaper and will do a great job. Don't be put off by collimation, after a couple of tries it becomes easy.

If you are a beginner starting out, definately try to take some time to look at the sky and see what's there before trying too hard to image it.

The 10" dob should be a useful tool for visual work from any decent skies.

Good luck with the setup and welcome to the forum.

Too late to add a syllable of advice since I think Paulo's posts say it all perfectly. Just a voice to second them is all I can offer. (Okay I do use a laser and know it isn't perfect but I have a very large Dob and need something I can use single handed and fast. It gets me a decent result but I then need to star test to get it ay better. It often isn't necessary and I'm often pressed for time at the start of the night.)

Olly

I am not a beginner and know my way around the skies but have only had a poor scope before and not had any spare money with 3 kids to buy a better one. I'm not keen on bikes or cars so my mid life crisis is a telescope! I just need to know I'm buying the right one as I hope to use it for years - which is why weight is an issue.

Simon

For collimation you can read this:

Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

The only laser colli everyone seams to agree is good is the hotech:

Homepage - HoTech SCA laser collimator

I got one and the cheshire gives me a more accurate result so I don't use it that much. Only use the laser if I have to do a quick collimation in the dark. In my opinion there are much better/useful things you can put your money into, like some quality eyepieces, a telrad finder, a right-angle and correct-image finder, a star atlas, a red light torch, a good beginner's book...

If you want to have a better understanding of the available choices in scopes/mounts then this is also an excellent read:

So you want to buy a telescope ? - Part 1

Hi Simon, i highly recommend the 10" dob. It will show you all you want to see visually, it has the aperture and capabilities to be a scope for life visually.

The 10" is still manageable, fits in a car no worries, lightweight in two parts and unbelievably easy to use.

The imaging could follow later. Perhaps start small with a lightweight driven EQ mount and put your D40 on that for some nice widefield vistas using the camera lenses. Build up from there as the funds allow. You could add a small refractor later down the road, then up the mount etc.

But visually the 10" dob would do it all.

I wouldn't be without a laser for the same reasons Olly put forward. With a cheshire i am backwards and forwards to the eyepiece because the scope is too long to look in the cheshire and make adjustments. It's far easier to sit at the bottom of the scope and make all the adjustments watching the laser spot move on an angled screen. The cheap lasers can be collimated using a simple jig (even Lego will do).

I am looking to purchase my first good quality telescope. One proviso is that it should not be too heavy. I am looking at the 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian with synsync. I will use it mainly for observing but would like the ability to take photos. I have a Nikon D40. I am almost decided on this one. Any comments?

Importantly would you recommend a laser collimator as will not normally have a partner?

Thanks

Simon:)

I have just brought a 10in. Dobs, then stripped it down and rebuilt it and I have got a lot of info from this board of how/do etc and now I am glad I did the strip down (it was a second hand scope but with a re-aluminsied 10in. mirror what was not fitted to the scope)

I have a spinal problems and the OTA is just on the level of what I can pickup without causing to much pain/problems my my base weighs a lot more so I have built a wheelie trolly to stick under the base so I can wheel it around and then it's a short lift into the car with help of another (or just grunt and lift and take medication :) later)

So I don't know what the skywatcher weight but it will be lighter than my dob for sure.

I will use a laser collimator which is on my shopping list as this saves me the stretching and constant moving from primary knobs to focuser.

I plan to do imagaing with mine using the modded SPC880 and just keep nudging the scope when doing the avi recording but putting an SLR on is out of the question for long exposures as even with a Dob EQ Platform it depends on how good the motors run and tracking.

I have been told here on the forum that I will have a very happy face when I look down my scope for the first time and I can not wait but collimation and Obs to build first.

Archived