Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equatorial push to?

aren't all EQ's push to? if they are balanced right you should be able to push to a target, lock and then turn on a RA motor.

The setting circles might be able to help with hitting your target, they seem to be lacking in quality on lower end mounts.

Hi:

Thanks!

I was referring to the possibility of having a "digital setting circle" system, as I am not sure about the quality of the settings circles in a mount I have just acquired.

For example, I thought about the Skyscout from celestron, or even mount an iphone.

Any ideas?

The SkyScout is great for finding and naming stuff so long as it's well clear of metal objects and power lines. The gps system within them is very sensitive to interference. They work as a finder only with the specially made scope that Celestron provide (I understand it's plastic). Plus it doesn't magnify so there's only bright spots to see in the reticle.

It's a shame but the setting circles on a lot of mounts, whilst adequate for general viewing, are not as accurate as they could be for other more precise targeting like astrophotography. Good move would be to explore some of the ideas offered above - otherwise I use the constellations and star hopping :)

Archived