NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount options for large refractor

catburglar

I think I've got the refractor bug, and am looking at the possibility of getting a larger achromatic scope- maybe the 120 or 150mm F/8 variety. My favoured mount at the minute is a Skywatcher AZ4 with a stainless steel tripod. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this combination.

I read that these refractors are a bit unwieldy, and require a more substantial mount than expected. I'm purely visual, so don't need high precision drives and don't particularly want goto.

Any thoughts?

This is the "for sale" section so not the right place for this thead - I expect the mods will move it soon.

I have an AZ4 - it will take a 4" F/10 refractor fine but a 120 F/8.3 or a 150 F/8 (I've owned both) are too much for it.

You want to look out for a Giro mount or similar (William Optics Easy Touch ?)

plus a really solid tripod (eg: CG5 2" steel legged) and a 16" pillar extension to get the eyepiece to a reasonable height. This was my setup a short while ago:

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/101540-refractors-secret-weapon.html

Realized I'd posted in the wrong section as soon as I'd clicked "Submit".

The AZ4 comes with either an aluminium or a stainless steel tripod- I've got the stainless steel version- do your comments refer to this one?

Yep - I have the 1.75" stainless steel tripod and I've used it on the 2" steel CG5 tripod as well. The AZ-4 is a very good mount but the long, heavy tubes of large refractors would be too much for it I'm sure.

Thanks for the clarification- so now my question is how large do I go- if I'm going to need another mount? A 120 achromatic + EZtouch (or similar) won't come cheap. Would a 100mm ED be a better/more cost effective upgrade path from my current 80mm?

I'm purely visual, so don't need high precision drives... ?

I would question this, personally. I'm 99% visual too and value my "precision driven" (Well, Skywatcher drives but tracking is superb) GP equatorial as one of my best astronomical investments ever - and it takes my Equinox 120 easily to-boot! However, if I had to nudge my Equinox + high-power planetary eyepiece along, my actual observing of planetary detail would I'm sure be compromised, if only in the comfort stakes if nothing else.

Just something to consider.

Ant

You can pick up these big achromats incredibly cheaply second hand and I like them. In fact I have a 6 inch which is rarely used now but I'm in France so not of much help, probably. I've seen them for sale here on SGL and in fact I think Grahame Carter has a 120 on the market at the moment.

I had my 150 on an EQ3 (marginal but not impossible.) I don't know the AZ mounts, I'm afraid.

Olly

I have a 4" f/10 celestron mounted on an old CG-4 mount (aluminium tripod). I believe they are the same as the EQ3-2. This setup is ok for visual use. I'm not brave enough to mount the 150mm refractor on that mount. I also have a Skywatcher 150mm F/8 achro on a EQ5. Which again is ok for visual use but even with the Synscan goto , astrophotography is problematic. My advice go for the heaviest duty mount ( preferably driven ) that you can afford.

I have a CG5 mount with the 2" steel legs and dual axis drives. I found that provided a decent mount for a 6" F/8 OTA for visual observing. The pillar extension is a very useful addition though otherwise the eyepiece can get very low when viewing around the zenith area.

The main challenge I found was getting the 6" OTA onto the mount - I found myself wobbling around on a small stool, in the dark, clutching a 20lb, 4 foot long, top heavy "cannon" - goodness knows what it's like to deal with an 8" or 10" refractor like some of our US friends seem to have !.

Archived