Collomating binoculars

I have done my 20 by 80's...There are two screw each side under the rubber. One on top near the eyepieces and the other on the body of the prism down near the middle connection. A pig to find without ruining the rubber..do not force the rubber too hard..I had to superglue mine back down in places..

To check line up a distant object and then move back 6 to 12 inches and make sure the object is central in both eyepieces.

They must line up horizontally nearly perfectly but a little error vertically does not seem to notice when viewing..

I did note that to get stars as points your eyes need to be exactly central to each eyepiece. If you move up down or left and right you get mushy stars but then again it might be my glasses..

Good luck. be patient..do not get angry..

Mark

How bad is the problem?. I'm not familiar with the Helios 25x100 but some binoculars of this size have eccentric objective cells for collimation purposes. Contrary to an earlier post, there is more latitude for error in the horizontal plane than the vertical, your eyes can accommodate more easily without undue strain horzontally than vertically. Try going Xeyed vertically! :).

Archived