NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

updated.. now considering C5 or orion apex 127

I have now discounted this scope (C130) The focal length is a little to long resulting in a to narrow a field of view, also a couple of reveiws I found on USA sites didnt rate it that highly construction and optics wise.. I am now leaning towards either a second hand C5 or an orion apex 127..

The main attraction on the orion is that I know the optics are user collimatable, wheras I dont know if they are on the skywatcher 127.

The problem for me is keeping the weight down the C5 comes in at under 4 kgs as does the orion I believe.. so they are both around the same weight as my sentinal..

Oh and if anyone is selling a mak ota 102mm or larger gimme a shout ( must weigh no more than around 4 kgs though)

I used to own a C5 (Nexstar 5 actually) - pretty easy to collimate but get some "Bobs Knobs" in place of the rather fiddly allen-key operated standard collimation screws. It was also lightweight and, when collimated, performed very well - rather unsung heros I think the C5's. I think their cool down times are shorter than the Mak's as well.

This review might be of interest:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=870

John.

Well its all solved now.. I just picked up a secondhand C5 that was originaly part of a nexstar 5i set up.. complete with t mount adaptor. rays bracket, finder scope diagonal etc...Hopefully will be ariving next week...

I mainly intend to use it for lunar and planetry stuff, and use the antares for deepsky.. but we will see how it goes and if I fancy trying a focal reducer on it.. Of course I can also use it terrestially as the close focus on it is around 20 ft so I have got my self a kick a*** f10 mirror lense for wildlife stuff..

If paul is reading this cheers mate.. Im really looking forward to it.

I will certainly do one once the blanket over head vanishes, but I fear its set in for a bit.

I got the scope today, sorted the dovetail issue for now ( thanks arthur for making me think) plonked it on a mount and tried to see something in the murk tonight.. got a couple of quick glimpses, just enough to tell me the collimation will probably need attention once I get a clear night..But Ill find out for certain once its clear enough to zero in on a bright star and up the power. ( crossing my fingers for tomorrow night)

Archived