Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 120 (EQ3-2) vs Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

EllenRipley

Hi all,

I'm rather new to astronomy but have enjoyed many evenings with a cheap 3" reflector and a pair of binoculars. I've done a lot of research on scopes and narrowed down my choices to the above two scopes but cannot decide which to choose. I realise the 120 is a short tube and better for DSO but I would like a nice all-rounder to view planets etc. and the best viewing experience in this price range (£300 - £400). Would also like to do some astrophotography, I have a Canon EOS 50D that I would like to use for this. Can anyone give me some advice in order to make my choice a bit easier?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to SGL.

The 120 short tube isn't better than the 200P for DSOs, you can't beat aperture. The Newt is a much better all round scope than the Startravel and will give better views on pretty much every object. The only areas that I can see to favour the Startravel is ease of use and portability.

Thank you GazOC,

Ithought this might be the case but just wanted to make sure. I would like to take the scope with me to Scotland about once a year but I'm sure this won't be a problem with the 200p. One other thing, is it wort paying more for the 200P DS?

Ellen

If you want to connect your Canon to the scope and can afford the extra £££ then the DS is a worthwhile upgrade. The improved focuser and shorter distance from the focuser to the secondary mirror are both things that will come in handy when using a DSLR.

The 200P would win for both aparture and image quality. Also the EQ5 mount is far more substantial than the EQ3-2 and would be better for photography. I have no problem putting my Canon 1000D on the "ordinary" 200P but the better ("finer") focusser may well be worth the extra.

For complete beginners I would advise to get a small telescope first but as you have had some experience I have an urge to shout from the nearest rooftop 'GET THE 8 INCH !' - it's aperture size will give you a huge amount to look at for years to come and if you're heart lies truly 'in the heavens' you will never regret it. Having said that if you are only a casual astronmer (no disrespect meant to anyone who is) a smaller telescope will probably be fine for the occasional 'quick fix'.

One point though - if you want to study the planets and double stars, the startravel is not the best scope of that size & price-range. A longer focal ratio one would be better eg 'the explorer' - this will still be good for clusters and nebulae - just use long focal length eyepieces to get the wider field of view of the startravel. I suppose the only real advantage of the startravel is it's shorter length - it's easier to take 'on the bus' !

Alan

Have you considered the Skywatcher Evostar 120 (EQ5)?

It's about the same price as the Explorer 200p (£360 from Rother vally optics or Harrison Telescopes), has the same mount, and should have less CA than the startravel. It also has a more useful focal length IMO (same as the explorer).

You could also buy the 200p OTA at a later date and use it on the same mount (or vice versa) :)

This is the decision I am trying to make as well :( Which one to get first, that is...

I agree with the advice given above. The ST120 would not be my choice in any case. I'd go for the f8 version which has better colour correction. Resistance to rattling around and freedom from collimation are the refractor plusses but the 8 inch will show more.

Since the mount will not allow very much in the way of astrophotography I would not let this sway you too far either way.

Personally I must say I would dither because I like just going outside and starting but I can see the case for the Newt very clearly.

BTW there is a 120 f8 for sale on the For Sale board. I know Grahame, the vendor, and would not doubt his word on this scope.

Olly

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies. As you can probably see it has been six months since my first post, and I must admit that since then I have done endless hours of online research regarding the above mentioned scopes and others of course.

What i realised about six weeks ago was that the more I try to find the "ideal first telescope" and "best value for money scope", the more I realised that I would never find it. The more knowledge you gain, the more you realise that every person has different needs for a scope and that no one scope in particular will ever do everything you want it to.

I realised I had to start somewhere so I decided to take the plunge and bought a Skywatcher Evostar 120 (4.75" ) f/1000 on an EQ5 Mount from Rother Valley Optics. My maximum budget was £400 and at £367.66 for this setup (including a free DVD worth £15) I thought it was an absolute bargain. This was confirmed on delivery (which was prompt and profesional) as this is a very solid piece of kit and well worth the money in my opinion. I would also like to add that RVO was extremely professional and helpful and pricewise the best I could find. I would certainly recommend their services to anyone.

I watched the DVD to help me with the setup which made it rather easy. Took me about an hour but I took my time to get to know all the bits and pieces and like I said before it is a very impressive setup. I am more than happy with the EQ5 mount, very solid indeed and has no problem with the OTA fully loaded (standard). The only thing I would like to get is the extension cables for the slow movement controls as the knobs are a bit tricky to use in some viewing positions. But then I shall upgrade to the x and y-axis motors at some point in the future when I want to start taking some pictures (hopefully soon). The problem is, I need to understand how to set the setting circles correctly, I just don't understand how to do it. Maybe someone can give me some advice?

Well, all in all I am very satisfied with this scope. Views are crisp and clear and have to admit that there is very little CA. On bright objects like the moon it is present but not enough to even mention to be honest. Saturn and some of its moons are beautiful and clear through the standard 10mm EP and even through the 25mm even though much smaller. I have a book called "Turn left at orion" which has 100 night sky objects to find which has been great fun and I have found and seen just about everything I have attempted so far with great pleasure. Stars are very crisp, clear and pinpoint sharp while clusters like the Beehive are spectacular.

I am not too keen on the finderscope as it is rather difficult to find particular stars for starhopping because of its large FOV. I might invest in a red laser finder instead for better accuracy. I love finding and looking at galaxies but they are mostly quite faint and fuzzy so some advise on which filters to use to make them more visible would be much appreciated. Also, I would like to invest in a couple of better eyepieces, any recommendations there would also be welcome. I want to get a moonfilter and a sun filter as well so any suggestions are appreciated.

So after reading numerous threads here from people who where in my position as I was before investing in a first/new scope I would like to say, don't waste too much time trying to find "that" ideal scope. Just get something within your budget and get viewing, like me you'd wish you'd done it months earlier!

Regards,

ER

I had of those and it did very well as a visual scope. Glad you like it. To be honest few people bother with the setting circles, which are too small to be usefully accurate and need laying off on a nearby star for each 'hop' if you are not motorized. I like Telrad finders myself.

Olly

Hi Olly,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. My wife and I have just been looking at your website. Looks like a lovely setup you have there. Would be fantastic to come and stay for a week, hopefully in the not too distant future!

ER

• 11 months later...

Hi,

My daughter and family live in deepest, not too darkest, rural Hertfordshire and have a son nearly 6 who is fascinated with stars and planets. I have been thinking about the 200P on an EQ5 for me and to show him what can be seen. I live in rural Northants with only a little light pollution. My budget is similar to where you started and I am floating between an 8" Dob and the 200P/EQ5. With the Dob, I could get all the extras (red-spot, collimator, intermediate epos) but wouldn't be able to do that with the 200P/EQ5. I am still hankering towards the EQ route more than the Dob as I am concerned about keeping a Dob aligned with what I want to see (DSO's, Planets and Lunar) for 10 minutes.

:icon_salut:

Hi,

My daughter and family live in deepest, not too darkest, rural Hertfordshire and have a son nearly 6 who is fascinated with stars and planets. I have been thinking about the 200P on an EQ5 for me and to show him what can be seen. I live in rural Northants with only a little light pollution. My budget is similar to where you started and I am floating between an 8" Dob and the 200P/EQ5. With the Dob, I could get all the extras (red-spot, collimator, intermediate epos) but wouldn't be able to do that with the 200P/EQ5. I am still hankering towards the EQ route more than the Dob as I am concerned about keeping a Dob aligned with what I want to see (DSO's, Planets and Lunar) for 10 minutes.

:icon_salut:[/quote

From what I've seen on this forum the 200p tube can be mounted on an equatorial so you could get the basic dob (ie the solidtube one, not the flextube) and then an EQ mount later.

I've never had a motorised mount and so called 'nudging' is second nature to me now so as long as the mount is smooth and in good order it's no problem. Also you only need to push the scope a little to follow objects at high magnifications ie around 180 X and over, it's not a matter of continuously moving the scope, just a slight nudge each minute.

Archived