Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon: No problem.

oldfruit

Just loving the clear nights we have been having in Lincolnshire for the last couple of nights and have had to go out and not waste the chance to do some observing.

As i had spent the last 2 nights observing Jupiter and Uranus, i thought i would try for something a little different tonight.

Firstly i found M13 in Hercules in the finder which considering the moonlight was pleasing. Despite the background sky being so bright it was still an impressive object and using 80x it was still possible to resolve some of the stars.

Next was M92, i found it no problem and used the same mag as before. Now this is the first time i have seen this globular cluster and to me it looked a lot more compact towards the core.

I then swung the scope round to Lyra and had a look at the double double and upped the magnification to 111x and was able to split the stars easily with a little sliver of dark between them.

As i was looking at Lyra i had to look at M57, the famous Ring Nebula and even in the moon drenched sky it was an impressive sight and easy to make out the doughnut shape at 80x.

Next was Albireo, the beautiful double star in Cygnus. I love this double and the contrasting colours of its stars. To my eyes they appear subtle orange and icy blue.

At this point the wife shouted as she needed some help with something so i packed the scope away.

Full Moon and some DSO`S. I was very happy and cannot wait to get out again.

Clear skies.

Mark.

I now how you feel about not wasting a chance, Oldfruit. I feel guilty if I don't see at least something when there's a clear sky. Some nice visual targets there as well, M92, M57 and Albireo are amongst my favourites... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived