NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar alignment? about the final step, there appears to be more than one method

:)

Hi, I have a question on a popular topic. Polar alignment

I have aligned the polarscope and reticule to the mount (HEQ5) and have set (correctly I think) the correct date and time for transit for my location. This all made sense to me.

It is the next bit that I have confused my self with. I have read two methods of achieving the same thing, but I am unsure which is correct.

(a) Set the RA circle to 0 hours, 0 minutes and tighten the set screw to lock the circle in place. Unlock the RA lock knob and rotate the mount in RA until the current date on the date scale lines up with the current time on the RA circle.

(:) Unlock the RA axis and rotate the mount so the Date Scale Indicator is pointing at the current date. Lock the RA axis. Loosen and move the RA Setting Circle to show the current time. Tighten the Setting Circle. Unlock the RA axis and rotate the mount until RA setting circle indicator points at Zero.

Which is the correct method (a) or (:p

What puzzles me for method (a) is that the RA circle always points to 0 and never moves during the alignment and during use - if it never moves why do we have the option to move and lock it.

BTW: any idea why Astro Baby's site is down?

Thank you for the comments.

If I do (a) or (:) I get different results, which makes me think I m doing somthing wrong. In Method (:) the last step "Unlock the RA axis and rotate the mount until RA setting circle indicator points at Zero".

Exactly what should be pointing at what? The setting circle indicator is the "cast" metal arrow/triangle on the body of the mount, but what "zero" should it point to? the only zero that moves is the date/longitudinal scale.

I know it is proberbly simple, but that in someways it what is driving me round in circles.

regards

David

Dave,

This set is only to make sure that the reticle in the plar scope is correctly aligned.

The Zero on the RA scale should be positioned against the cast "arrow" on the mount. So when the RA axis is rotated to the indicated "RA" then the small Polaris circle should be at the "Clock Hour" angle shown on the handcontroller.....

I have also just realizeed that I am using the PolarFinder software upside down. I had assumed that the top (12 o'clock) position in the software was the 6'oclock position through the finder scope. I have just noticed a tick box in the software that says "view through scope", which in my case was ticked.

Therefore my transit time was wrong. I need to match the 6'oclock to 6'oclock image in the software and the scope with the correct transit time.

so much to learn...

David

Archived