Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 150

Hello all,

I'm hoping one or maybe more of you will bless me with your infinite astro-tech wisdom! I recently purchased a Skywatcher Startravel 150 off eBay for cheap, and as a result, need some help in deciding exactly what I need to 'kit it out', as I literally have just the scope, finderscope and mounting rails.

Firstly, I want to use the scope to try some DSO and widefield imaging (I have a Canon 1000D). I realise that this will be both unguided, and not on the most needed mount, as I have limited funds. I was hoping that using he HEQ5 mount wouldn't be completely useless for this? (I am aware it is a heavy scope)

Secondly, I need to purchase some form of powering the mount for tracking. Am I right in thinking a Powertank 7ah would be sufficient? Does this come with the cables needed to connect?

Thirdly, I just went out to try view the moon with a friends selection of lens' (helped by a makeshift mount of a few chairs and books!), but I cannot focus it. I am told that I need to increase the length of the scope, as in a tube extender of some sorts. However, I realise I ALSO need a star-diagonal. Will this be sufficient enough to allow me to focus?

Finally, when I view the moon, I am bound to be blessed with a serious amount of chromatic aberration. Thus, I will need some sort of fringe killer.

Given that this is an older model of the 150, and takes 1.25", would you be able to confirm my questions, and maybe even suggest relevant items I may need?

Thank you so much, and please forgive my simplistic beginner questions, which you have undoubtedly answered time and time again,

Stefan. :)

Archived