SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor type show?

CaptPaul

I have read that next weekend there will be a junior version of the Perseid meteors caused by the remains of Halleys Comet but the moon could threaten seeing anything (and also my abillity to draw ever cloud in the sky over head when i want to see something!)

Does anyone know any more about this and where in the sky it will occur?

Maybe orionids is the shower you mean, this is from this website EarthSky's meteor shower guide for 2010 | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

October 21, 2010 Orionids

The almost full moon makes 2010 a very unfavorable year for watching the Orionid meteor shower. Meteor enthusiasts may try their luck anyway. The Orionids tend to be fast, occasionally leaving persistent trains and producing bright fireballs. On a dark, moonless night, this shower exhibits a maximum of about 15 meteors per hour. If you trace these meteors backward, they seem to originate from the north of Orion’s bright ruddy star Betelgeuse. The Orionids have a broad and irregular peak that is difficult to predict. More meteors tend to fly after midnight, and the Orionids are typically at their best in the wee hours before dawn. The best viewing time will probably be one to two hours before dawn on October 21. However, the light of the waxing gibbous moon will wash out all but the brightest Orionid meteors.

Also wiki

Orionids - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps:)

a few flew over this evening whilst my camera was shooting a timelapse sequence. The sky wasn't dark enough to really show them well and I quit the sequence when the clouds came in. I think the early hours of the morning is likely to be better if the clouds go away

Archived