go to problems,4 se

i got my scope out for the first real time friday night,i took a drive up to the lakes and have never seen skies like i did before,i' having real problems getting the go to accurate,one time after a 2 star allignment it was facing the other way when i asked for jupiter and the moon,any helpful tips

cheers

james

Need information. You have said that it doesn't work and asked any ideas?

Did you enter the date, time, lat, long, timezone correct?

Did you have DST On?

Did you have a power tank or running off a car supply?

That is 7-8 possibilities that could have been wrong.

I am guessing at one of Lat/Long, Timezone, DST and Power.

Did the 2 star alignment actually work?

hi guys again,have managed to find the lat/long options and is asking for the longitude first followed by *** ** ** with the options east west and then latitude *** ** ** with north south,i'm guessing i'm west and north and also what am i imputing if my location is

Latitude, Longitude: 53.4107766, -2.9778383

many thanks in advance

cheers

james

Your Lat will be ??(degrees) ??(mins) ??(secs) North if you are above the equator and ??(degrees) ??(mins) ??(secs) West, i say West (probably) as there are few places in the UK that are East of Grenwich (sp?).

You have to input the info in the old style, not decimal as you have suggested above. So, if the coordinates that you have listed above are correct then the Lat/Long will be......

53° 24' 38.7972" North

2° 58' 40.2168" West

You wont need to input the data after the decimal point in the seconds section, hope that makes sense.

Gary

Perhaps he was using the 'nearest city' function. I always found though that inputting the lat/long was better than the nearest city thing, I have had 3 different Celestron goto mounts and all were the same in this respect.

Gary

First time I used my scope I managed to set up the date/time and lat/long ok, but I had difficulty with the polar alignment (don't know why, seemed so easy second time round - will blame it on clouds near Polaris) and the 2 star alignment. I now realised that:

1) It's not hard to work out what the alignment stars are - they are so much brighter than any other star in the eye piece. I had been looking at Stallarium to work out which one of the vfisible stars (if any) was the one I needed.

2) Once you have set it up correctly once and parked the scope at the end of your session, it is pretty good at finding the alignment stars in the EP straight away next time you start up (assuming you polar align the scope correctly).

3) A red dot finder helped confirm I was aligning correctly (I don't have a guide scope, so ordered it after my first dismal attempt at aligning, but find that I no longer need it).

hi gary,one last question please.how do we get the numbers that i will be entering from my lat/long position.

Latitude, Longitude: 53.4107766, -2.9778383

and convert them to the co-ordinates you have given me below and also will i be entering zero's on the first 3 numbers,ie 053 and 002

53° 24' 38.7972" North

2° 58' 40.2168" West

cheers

james

Hi James,

I cant remeber off hand if there are 2 or 3 digits in the coordinate section of the hand set, just fill in any balnks with 0's. (its been a while since I had a Celestron mount)

As for how I converted them, easy, see here, Convert Latitude / Longitude in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds to/from Decimal (FCC) USA . Just googled coordiate convertor and that came up.

Remember, google is our friend.....................:)

Hope that helps mate,

Gary

Archived