Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Hartley using the CLS filter

Hi All was imaging Hartley again last night, (wern't we all?!)

Thought I would try using my Astronomik CLS clip filter, I don't usually use this filter much, preferring to process the light pollution out using Photoshop.

I have always struggled to get the colours right using this filter which now I think about it is the reason I don't use it much!

This the result of 45 X 1 min exposures at ISO 1600, darks subtracted.

I seem to have lost most of the colour using the filter, it's looks like I shot it in black and white!

Anybody had the same problems as this? I think I'll sell the clipfilter and stick with my method of Light pollution removal.

John

post-15189-133877493516_thumb.jpg

Hi John

I also used a cls filter on my Hartley capture however I’ve never had a problem with images turning monochromatic, either with the 2" cls or clip-in. I imported your image into Photoshop and looked at the channels. All 3 (r,g,:D have an absolutely identical histogram. I suspect you do indeed have a monochromatic image as only one of the r,g,b components is being used, and has possibly been duplicated onto all three. Is this a possibility?

Hmmmm, thanks Malcolm I'll have a look see, I have recently changed my Deep Sky Stacker settings after reading on a chatroom site about the white balance settings when using a CLS filter.

It said to use Kappa sigma and RGB debayering (whatever that means!)

Busy tonight but will get back, any advice or help from others would be very much appreciated.

John

Archived