Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner Interested in Astro-photography

Timballisto

Hi guys,

I've suddenly developed an interest in astro-photography and would like some advice.

I'm interested in deep space photography using a DSLR. The DSLR will be the first purchase as I can use it and play around with it even on cloudy days :D

My first question is:

What camera? I've been considering the Canon EOS 1000D as it looks like a good entry level camera. What would the next model up be? This will allow me to compare prices and details.

Next questions are: Any decent guides on what to look for in mounts and telescopes?

Third: Any decent books about astro-imaging for beginners?

If these have been answered before then could I get some links to the posts? Don't currently have internet at home and can't spend all day in the office sifting through the forums.

Many thanks!

Tim

Tim, the 1000d seems to be a good choice. Going up from there, is the 550d the current model, or the 450d from the previous generation. Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear

The next question, is probably best answered by the same answer for the third... Get Steve Richards (Steppenwolf), making every photon count. Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

There are a number of mounting options, from the astrotrac through big beast eq mounts... and a lot will depend on budget, how far you need to move it etc. Best to read Steve's book and go from there.

Thanks, jgs

Bought my Canon 1000D over the weekend and am loving it. Have also ordered the book from your link and am patiently waiting for it to arrive. I feel like I could squeal like a little school girl... but then my office mates might think i'm weird. I'll just save it for when the book actually arrives! xD

I have a canon 1000d, and best advice i can give is the following. Get it modded or do it yourself, get an astronomik clip filter. Also look on ebay and get some m42 prime lenses with an adaptor. At the very least get a 50mm F1.8 prime canon lens, so much better than the bundled lens. Start with some widefield pics, some really pretty ones of constelations such as ursa major and cygnus possible.

Walk before u run, master each technique, get to know your equipment.

Archived