Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Syntrek - RA/DEC Locks

Just got the new HEQ5 and have set=up as per Astro Baby's guide to Polar alignment.....

One question I have attched the Syntrek handset and power but wanted to know. When turned on do I leave the RA/DEC ;ocks engaged are are these supposed to be free?

Roy

its a bit of both really, you don't want them to losse but you also don't want to over lock them as this will make the motors work harder, i have the HEQ5 Pro, and i just NIP the locks tight, hope this helps, if not, there will be someone who will be able to help you futher

good luck

Cheers....I had a worry for a moment that if I locked them it would burn the motors out.

Just waiting for the EQDIR to turn up then I can see what its like through EQMOD.........

Another question...I notice when you use EQMOD stellarium as a GoTo...will the HEQ5 track fast to the object?

Roy

I don't use stellarium, but I would expect so. With CdC, the slew is fast. When driving in this manner, make sure the clutches are locked and use the goto alignment process and goto to work around the sky and to the target, or the computer won't know about the movement.

YOu can tighten them as much as you like - it wont cause the motors any harm. The motors and their associated worms are permanetly engaged irrespective of the clutch.

I'll try and explain but is hard with text on this one. Whats holding the mount when you tighten the clutchs is not actually the clutch. Its the gear teeth of the worm gears which exert a large amount of anti-slip to the mount.

When you release the clutch the worm gears are still engaged in the mount and the motors and their gears are still locked up tight - all thats happening is your now allowing the outer casing of the mount to move around the worm gear main drum.

When you tighten the clutches the outer casing is 'locked' to the worm gears.

The upshot is that with the clutches loose nothing really happens because the motor gear is turning inside the outer casing BUT if you tighten down the clutches the outer casing becaomes attached to the worm gear drum. You cant really damage the mount by overtightening because the end of the clutch has a soft brass compression washer on it which mates to the brass worm gears main drum.

You could overtighten to the point where you strip the thread that the clutch sits in, or rip the clutch lever away from the mount but I seriously doubt you'd have enough strength to do that. Ummmm unless you are the incredible hulk/the terminator/superman etc or applied a tool to the clutch lever.

Archived