Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you see stars from the d,side of moon ?

cosmic dave

I had a conversation with my 16 year son yesterday and he told me you cant see stars from the moon, when I said you must be able to see them from the dark side he said no you cant. I think they must be visible from the dark/night side, does anyone know ? :D

If you stood in the shadow of a large boulder on the lit side of the moon, and were able to lift the helmet protective visor on your helmet, I'm sure stars would be visible in the sky. Having no atmosphere to speak of, sunlight would not be scattered.

The cameras used by the astronauts never showed any stars, simply because the exposure times were much to short.

You certainly would be able to see the majesty of the universe from the night side, ie, when the side you are on, is facing away from the sun.

Ron.

Stars would be visible from the moon. ( They were not visible in the Apollo moon

landing pics was because the exposures were too short to record them.)

Sounds like your son has an enquiring mind, that's great !

Best regards, Ed.

The dark side (cue Darth Vader!) isn't actually dark all the time. It's just that we don't see it from Earth, hence its name.

The moon has day and night, just like the Earth, and as has been said, during lunar night the stars will be visible, and look glorious I would imagine....when you get an observatory set up there, please let us know....there'll be quite a queue :D

Cheers

Rob

Archived