NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pixelmath in Pixinsight - Layer/opacity option

DISCLAIMER: What I am about to write may be wholly or partly inaccurate, I'll leave that to the PI gurus to decide. However, it seems to work for me :D:)

Hopefully one day PI will offer full layers and layer blending and masking options.

I have sometimes found it useful to overdo a certain element of a picture, but then use a low opacity of say 10%, and blend that back in via layers in photoshop.

It is possible to use the Pixelmath tool in PI for outrageously powerful things I'm sure, but as maths and I have never been best of friends :p , here is a simple way to blend PI images together.

Open the tool, and then click the edit button to allow you to select your intended target. (I usually use a clone image)

Now do the maths bit, ADD 10% of another image to it via the following line:

Image 1_clone + (Image 1_NOISE REDUCTION *0.1)

And so on.

It is also useful to re subtract the background, or a percentage of it again and again sometimes, which you can do.

Being a maths dropout, I'd be keen to hear other suggestions and routines to make better use of the Pixelmath tool.

Cheers

Tim

That's worth a go Tim although I still think I'll be saving the 2 images and opening in PS to use the sliders.

I saw saw some nice pixel maths routines in one of the worked processing examples but couldn't get it to work. Will keep trying!

Do you know if the deconvolve routine in PI will take a PSF from a sampled star or do I keep having to do FWHM/2.35482 for the SD figure

Dont know about that Martin, but there is a great little trick if your stars should be slightly less than round, using the rotation and other slider above it I cant recall the name of just now it is possible to squeeze the stars in the direction you need to. :D

Thanks Harry, will read that later

Archived