Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Mexico Skies

Euan

LOL. Even if they promised me cloudless and un-light-polluted skies 370 days per year, I'd never ever move to the US. Ever.

Hmmm, maybe if I could remote control it from here.. ;-)

Oh dear, why is that? California somewhere would be one of the places i would have a second home if i won big. But i do love the country i'm in, just need to explore more of it. And one day move to Wales.

I can't really answer that on here. I don't want to get banned. Let's just say I don't always agree with the American Way. ;-)

But now that the picture in the first post loads, it does look interesting indeed...

Hmmm, maybe if I could remote control it from here.. ;-)

That's what a lot of people do from the States

Imaging you have a camera in the obs and a cable falls out.....ARGGHHH.....time to jump on a plane :D

iBisque prices for New Mexico Skies location are as follows (this is JUST for scope and dome, not actual land prices)

New Mexico Skies / Pricing

spacer.gif Your organization can have exclusive use of an iBisque telescope for $36,000 per year. The telescope will be up and running for your use every clear night (actually, every night with .5 or less cloud cover) from end of astronomical twilight each evening until beginning of astronomical twilight in the morning. You may have as many authorized users on the telescope as you wish, and we will provide you with web-based administrative tools for scheduling users. This option makes telescope time available to your organization at approximately $17 per telescope hour.

Telescope time is also available on a bulk-time hourly basis. One-hundred hours of telescope time is available for $5000, billable monthly. Scheduling is first come, first served on a reservation basis with no more than 10 hourly users assigned to a telescope. We estimate more than 2100 hours of clear sky conditions are available per year at New Mexico Skies.

Also, worth looking at the population density figures for the local county
We're located in Otero County, New Mexico, which has approximately 6,630 square miles of land area (4,243,200 acres). According to 2006 estimates, our entire county had a population of only 62,774, and over 42,000 people live in our 5 largest communities. As a county wide average, that's less than 10 people per square mile, and if you exclude the 5 largest communities, our county wide average drops to less than 3 people per square mile, or about 1 person for every 212 acres. (US Census Bureau data)

Archived