How to attach my camera???

big s

Hi,Ive just had my first telescope(Skywatcher Skyliner 8" Dob)

and it states in the instructions that it comes with a DSLR camera mount which i have,the problem I have it doesnt actually say how to put it all together eg how to attach a lens etc,forgive me if this question sounds stupid to you but im sure im missing the point on how im supposed to do it...thanks in advance for your replies...and please be gentle with me:icon_confused:

Do you want to attach the camera body to the scope or attach the camera + its lens to the scope?

If the former then I believe you will need a "T adapter". It slots into the focuser (where your eyepiece goes) and has either a Canon or Nikon mount at the other end. You then attach the adapter to your camera body as you would with a lens.

Like this one http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=tadaptor

i would be attaching the camera and the lens,the lens has a thread inside to attach to the telescope but im unsure where to put the lens after that,i tried just attaching the camera to it last night but i couldnt see anything through it at all

What you need to do either use the scope as the lens for your camera, or mount the camera and lens on top of the scope to use the camera's lens, not use both.

The best way is to use the scope as the lens for your camera body. So get the T-ring adaptor, remove your camera's lens and replace with the T-ring adaptor. Then I you unscrew the eyepiece holder on the focuser (you do on the 200p newt, not sure about the Skyliner) and then screw the adaptor (with camera body attached) directly onto the scope.

right,my camera is a Fuji Finepix S6500 fd,and to my knowledge the lens doesnt unscrew from the main camera body??? my god im confused,im a complete noob at all this and perhaps im trying to run before i can walk :-(

arh, so your camera is not a DSLR, thus why you are getting confused. DSLR camera's have removable lens, such as Canon Eos range and Nikon camera range.

I think the only way you can take images using your camera and scope as a lens is to point it down the eyepiece and take a photo which is a bit hit and miss - Someone else here may have more advice on this.

sorry for the confusion,i was told it was a dslr camera,after i posted i googled about a bit and discovered it wasnt ;-(,so really the only option i have is to point and hope for the best lol...thanks for all you advice skyexplorer and again soory for me being a bit dim lol

You can still get some decent images using this camera (I had the same model)

You will need a tripod and have to delve into the manual settings of your camera, but if you get decent dark sky, take some long exposures its how I got hooked! I used to use bulb setting with a remote timer (ebay less than a tenner!)

Good luck

You can "attach" the camera to point striaght down the EP, you can get holders to keep it nice and steady. I use the Baader version on my compact P&P, it's a bit fiddly first time but you soon get used to it, see Adaptors . There are more substantial mounts out there, if your camera is physically bigger ,some of the bird watching sites have reviews and decent pics so you can see what your getting.

Hope that helps

Neil

Archived