Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

70X70 Binoculars

There has been several binoculars with 70x magnification at ebay. Usually sold under the brand zion. Has any one tried something like this?

I was wondering if i should use them as a small telescope to take with me on vaction, just to look at the planets etc. What i am worried about is that the two refrectors beeing of axis and image quality. But using wo eyes seems nice. :(

Don't waste your money, you would never hold them steady, apart from that binoculars with zooms have genearlly poor optics from an astronomy point of view.

Have a look at the 15 X 70 Celestron, there are many references to them on here. You use binoculars for wide field views, not high magnification planetary views.

Imagine trying to collimate a 70 x 70 binocular! Also, with an exit pupil of 1mm they would be very uncomfortable/impossible to use unless held on a VERY stable mount ....and that assumes the optics will be excellent - which they definitely won't be.

I'm with Naz on this one - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

John

Archived