NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter pre Io Transit

BlueAstra

I'd previously posted a shot of an Io transit here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/115265-jupiter-io.html using a barlow, but I wasn't very happy with the focus. I previously taken a couple of shots without the barlow but hadn't processed them until now. For these I used a technique of aiming at a bright star, focussing the camera image with a mask, then slewing back to Jupiter. I was surprised to see the detail was quite good (perhaps a bit enthusiastic with the wavelets), and I had independently managed to get different colours at the end of processing each image (!?). The second shot shows Io's shadow (and Io) just touching the edge of Jupiter.

These sessions are the first using a manual filter wheel and a mono DMK, so lots of things to learn, and plenty of manic filter wheel turning and image capture. Hmm, those USB filter wheels sound a good idea! I'm going to give the barlow anaother go with this focussing technique, but I think there may be some fundamental image quality degradation when using the barlow.

C8 SCT + Man. Filter wheel + Opticstar filters (Kodak Wratten film) + Mono DMK

post-16060-133877490434_thumb.jpg

post-16060-133877490437_thumb.jpg

Archived