Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My latest (and best yet) Jupiter

michaelmorris

Last night was a clear night or reasonably good seeing (for once) so I took the opprotunity to capture a few AVIs of Jupiter. Here is the result.

500 frames from 1000frame capture in colour with 350 frames from 1500 frame capture with a mono webcam for the luminace layer.

post-13232-133877490132_thumb.jpg

Very nice - but can I ask (as a newbie!) why "luminance" frames?

The imaging sensor in a colour camera is a monochrome chip with a matrix of red, blue and green filters in front of alternate pixels. This is arranged in a matrix of red and green on one adjacent pixels on one line and green and blue filters on adjacent pixels in the line below and above it. This called a Bayer Matrix. A camera with a monochrome version of an imaging chip has no Bayer matrix in front of it mono imaging chip thus has about 3 x the resolution of it's colour equivalent.

The net result of this is that one can take two pictures, one for colour information (with a colour camera) and one with a mono sensor to record high resolution information of the 'lightness' values for each pixel. You can then superimpose the high resolution light level values onto the low resolution colour information in what is called a luminance layer. This give you a high resolution colour image.

You can find out more about this technique at:

Starizona's Guide to CCD Imaging

A camera with a monochrome version of an imaging chip has no Bayer matrix in front of it mono imaging chip thus has about 3 x the resolution of it's colour equivalent.

I may be wrong Michael but I believe that to double resolution you need 4 times as many pixels. In a Bayer Matrix of four pixels there are two green, one red and one blue. At worst the colour camera will have half the resolution. In reality the camera generates two colour pixels from the Bayer Matrix of four pixels on the camera, in theory giving the mono camera an advantage of 1.414 times the resolution of the colour camera.

As the camera uses interpolation to generate these pixels the real truth probably lies somewhere in between.

BTW nice shot:headbang:

Archived