Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laser collimators vs. non-laser

I was a convert to the laser collimator and barlowed it for the primary adjustment getting good results. I now prefer to use a collimation cap (home made) and a cheapie Cheshire which is a plastic Chinese one that came with a previous scope. I have a 'proper' Cheshire but find (possibly due to the focal length of my scopes) that the primary donut is impossible (OK difficult) to see properly beyond the crossed wires. the cheapie one I have has no cross wires. I am even considering taking the wires out of my 'proper' Cheshire but may just sell it.

in short I now prefer a Cheshire.

yes, indeed. basically after sorting the secondary (best done with a collimation cap in my opinion) you put a barlow in and the laser in the barlow.

you should see the large shadow of the donut on the face of the laser. cenre this and you are sorted.

basically, the barlow (has to be a barlow and not a powermate) spreads the beam and you collimate on shadow of the donut and not the laser beam. doing this eliminates any problems associated with focuser slop etc

I moved from lasers for no other reason than I felt it easier to get considetently good results and the batteries never run out on a Cheshire.

Also, seeing the laser in the daytime can be an issue.

I now find that my 1600mm tubes are not a problem with a Cheshire as I initially thought they would be, there's some to-ing and fro-ing but you soon get it done.

Cheshire for me too - lasers often need collimating and generally cause more problems for newbies than they solve. DONT assume all lasers are the same - cheap ones are - ummmm cheap. Best one I tried was the Hotech but its pricey.

On the other hand a cheap Cheshire will always give good results wheerea a cheap laser will cause more pain and aggro.

Iassumed when I started that lasers being hi-tech would be better but I found a a basic Cheshire was the best - nothing to break down, no batteries and its reliable.

Its worth mentioning though that the biggest aid to collimation I had was a serious quality focuser - thats another story.

Thats my experience for what its worth.

When I picked up my new scope the guy in the shop took me through the collimation procedure with a laser so that's what I ordered. Sure at some stage I will end up with a Cheshire as well.

Archived