NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Red dot finder mounting ideas??

Hi guys,

I've got a Burgess Optical RDF with the standard (big) baseplate. I've got the WO ZS66 and Megrez 90 scopes which are tapped for a small single screw RDF baseplate. So I thought that I would just buy a couple of small WO baseplates and I'd be set up fine. Emailed Ian King (always very helpful) and he says he stocks the baseplates, but WO overprice them and even with no profit they would cost £25 each!

Anyone got any suggestions for a cheaper alternative?

Thanks

Helen

Helen

Do your rings have the camera adapter thread holes in the top?

If so, get a couple of the adapter bolts and thread them in. Then get a piece of MDF cut with holes correctly spaced to sit on top. Use the camera adapter circular nuts to clamp it place. Then fix the RDF base to this. Paint the MDF your favourite astro colour!

It will pretty much line up in Az (if all your drill holes line up) and you just need to adjust the Alt of the RDF.

I am doing this with my Rev80....

Use a piece of double sided carpet tape to hold the finder in place for now. This will give you the opportunity to decide where to put it. (Mine is between the optical finder and the focuser, after several tries. In the meantime, you can look about for a less expensive baseplate. I don't know the Burgess rdf, but I can buy an Antares rdf and baseplate for less than £25.

OK, just caught my breath.... Here's a site which sells additional bases for £7.50 - http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it120001.htm .

Nevertheless, use the carpet tape trick to experiment with different placements for the rdf, unless you are going to remove the optical finder. You may have to stack the bits of carpet tape to make it work. I did with mine.

Archived